Featured Snuck out of my estate sale to go to a sale - painting of 2 bulls in heels w/watermelon on heads

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 14, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

A neighbor came by my estate sale today & told me about another one a few blocks away with some amazing art - so being the art addict I am I snuck off while my girlfriend was inside & ran over to see what they had!
    I ended up buying these two paintings - 2 bulls in heels with watermelon on their heads + a beautiful old religious painting that reminds me of Peruvian religious art (cuzco?)
    Can anyone tell me about either artist? (bulls artist name looks like Thomas(?) to me and the religious one looks like H Munoz?)
    Thoughts on the ...unusual bulls painting? (I really like it - what style do I call that?!)
    I also like the Madonna painting - I figured even if inexpensive the ornate wooden frame has to be worth the $50 I paid for it (bottom left corner gold/gilding has worn away - it looks like a red wood frame under the gold. And the fact that the back of the wood is black - it reminds me of oriental reverse painted on glass art I've had before; please tell me this one is not a Chinese factory painting??)
    Thanks all for any information/help!

ART PAINTING BULL WATERMELON ON HEAD IN HEELS 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING BULL WATERMELON ON HEAD IN HEELS 2AA.JPG
    ART PAINTING RELIGOUS MADANNA & CHILD BRAZIL STYLE 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING RELIGOUS MADANNA & CHILD BRAZIL STYLE 2AAA.JPG ART PAINTING RELIGOUS MADANNA & CHILD BRAZIL STYLE 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING RELIGOUS MADANNA & CHILD BRAZIL STYLE 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING RELIGOUS MADANNA & CHILD BRAZIL STYLE 7AA.JPG
    ART PAINTING RELIGOUS MADANNA & CHILD BRAZIL STYLE 8AaA.JPG

reader, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Hmmm, must be cows, no bull would be caught wearing those shoes! ;)

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Girl cows. (Backwards and in heels.)

Debora

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Those 2 paintings are certainly from different sides of the spectrum. I also read H Munoz (and like that painting) the bulls in heals one might be Thomas or T.. something (I know it’s art but it’s a little weird,it will probably turnout to be worth some money)

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I do not think the religious painting is particularly old. It looks airbrushed or stenciled to me. The stretcher bars do not have any patina and looked to have been cut with a circular blade. No clue on who the artists are. I like the bulls, a little silly, but they have their place.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree re religious painting. It doesn't appear to be a genuine Colonial era piece. Not surprising. These are still widely produced today.

Debora

reader and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Like the bovine whatevers and would guess the artist to be referencing Mexican culture between the bulls/cows and the watermelon. No thoughts on the shoes.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The first one is strangely likeable. It's growing on me. I like the second one. Agree with all previous thoughts. And good find on the other one, @Houseful . It does appear to be the same sig.

Houseful and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted