Featured So was poking around some old books in the lower level today...

Discussion in 'Books' started by Aquitaine, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

For whatever reason, I LONG AGO thought I had loaned this book out and it never got returned, but Lo & Behold, there it was hiding....it's not all that big, so maybe just tucked in with some bigger ones.....I checked it out at a couple of rare book sites, and I might even get a few dollars for it.......IF I could find the right buyer!!!!! Or one of you more knowledgeable can tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree!!! ALL HELP Graciously received and THANK YOU!!!!!

AN FM-1.jpg
    AN FM-2.jpg
    AN FM-3.jpg
    AN FM-4.jpg
    AN FM-5.jpg
    AN FM-6.jpg
    AN FM-7.jpg
    AN FM-8.jpg

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Yours does not have the $1.75 price tag on the dust jacket, and says Printed in USA on the back flap, so it's not the first printing/state of the American first edition.

Aquitaine, Figtree3, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I just realized my copy was sitting here too. I don't have the good one either.(sigh)

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  4. Aquitaine

OH Rats, @Kronos, I didn't realize that!!! Well, guess I'll let DH read it then....even tho it's in pristine condition....he says he's NEVER read it!!! And until I took the dust jacket off, and saw the bookplate, I did not realize it was my maternal Grandmother's!! To my best recollection I can only remember seeing her once when I was 4 y/o and she took us 'kids/siblings' outside a local hospital to see my newborn brother!!! Strange what we remember.....

Born2it and moreotherstuff like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

You don't show a full view of the back cover, but from the view of the spine it looks like there is a small blind stamp on the back cover, near the base of the spine. This is almost always a sign that it is a book club edition. (With the exception of publisher-specific decorative blind stamps in the same location.)

This dealer provides a good description of the first American Edition:
    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...entlyadded=all&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-image17

The British first edition is much more valuable.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

@2manybooks, I am assuming you mean the green hard cover?? If so, I'll give it a closer look and see if I can capture anything!! HAD NO idea of such a thing!!! Just found a tiny mark.....soon's I get it uploaded to my computer, can't wait to hear what you have to say!!!

7. Aquitaine

SO, this tiny thingamabob is about 2-3mm square in actuality!!! I'm assuming this is what you mean, @2manybooks????? Is there any MORE bad news:wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::rolleyes::rolleyes: (AND, amazingly, I'm getting the phone to focus.....finally!!!) Now, I'm seeing a '5' form in the middle of that minuscule shape! ALSO, how would one know if it was a publisher-specific decorative blind stamp in the same location??? AND Thank you SO MUCH, both @Kronos & @2manybooks for your help on this!!! (Even if it's not good, it's MOST Educational!!!)

2-3mm SQUARE tiny_.jpg

2manybooks and Figtree3 like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Yep, that's it. Nice photo. Some publishers, sometimes, have used logos with recognizable images. But if it is just a dot, like on your book, or a simple star, or square, or some such, it is almost always an indicator for a book club edition, (and therefore not a first edition).

When trying to identify a first edition, all features need to match a reliable description of a first edition. In some cases there are reference books that describe the "points" of identification. There are some websites that provide the points. If you are in the used book business, you may be able to rely on another trusted dealer's description of a first edition. Points of identification will include such things as the precise text on the copyright and title pages, the type and color of the binding, the text and pricing on the dust jacket, and any errors or peculiarities in the text of the book itself.

2manycats may have more to say later.

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Aquitaine

THANK YOU SO MUCH, AGAIN!!!!! I think 'vialibri.net' gave me the most detailed info....that I was able to find, at least!! Waiting for my ship to come in, and I was sitting in a canoe on a little pond!!:joyful::smuggrin::D

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Mine is dark green, Harcourt Brace with no blind stamp. But no black binding like the First first edition.

Draft saved Draft deleted