Featured So what got you started ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by charlie cheswick, Dec 14, 2022.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Age 22, wanted a disco shirt, realised the look I was after, couldn't be bought brand new

sabre123, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Sneaking a beer from my dad's refrigerator and then drinking it in the woods with my buddy John.

...that's what you meant, right?

kentworld, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. charlie cheswick

Still got it :)

judy likes this.
  4. charlie cheswick

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Potteryplease

Yeah, sorry. Bad joke.

6. Potteryplease

For me, a trip to Santa Fe about 6-8 years ago. Couldn't afford NA pottery in galleries, but bought a large Mata Ortiz jar that still sits on a table. That was the start for me.

sabre123, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  7. charlie cheswick

Not at all mate, beer :woot:

8. charlie cheswick

Can even narrow it down to this moment

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

God that song sure takes me back ! I loved Disco !!!

judy, sabre123, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  10. charlie cheswick

I'm a man of many decades, but vintage clothing is where I started out

American stuff is the best, all my clothing used to come from the US before the postage became too expensive

judy, johnnycb09, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  11. charlie cheswick

I love the trailer trash trucker look

12. charlie cheswick

Woolrich is My favourite, got about 5 plaid hunting coats

judy, pearlsnblume and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  13. charlie cheswick

One being my absolute favourite, red buffalo check 1950s

Needs a new zip

14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This is SOOO long ago, but for me what got my start was vintage clothing as well. In high school (early 1970s) my best friend and I started wearing 1940's clothing to be cool and different. 2 piece suits with fitted waists and padded shoulders, beaded sweaters, even 1940's dresses. Some of that clothing was so well made and stylish, it was crazy. And you could pick stuff up like that pretty often at garage sales, which always felt like winning the lottery. Voilà, a garage sale addict was born.

At the time there were vintage clothing stores that really played up to the 1940s craze, and I remember once going to Chicago to a store my friend new about, and the gay owner served us champagne as we shopped-- we were only 15 so it just didn't get any better than that.

From vintage clothing (still as a teen) I moved on to rhinestone jewelry, and antiques/vintage in general. Of course if I only knew THEN what I know TODAY... well, I'd have a storage locker full of Schreiner Ruffle brooches for a start.

My reselling started around 30 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    judy, kentworld, johnnycb09 and 6 others like this.
  15. charlie cheswick

Soooooo, interesting lucille, thanks For sharing. I wonder how many more of us started off as interested in vintage clothing

Love you

16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I love disco too. And I miss it.

Will keep this short since it is getting late here.
    I started when I moved into my apt and wanted a blue and white kitchen. So I collected depression delphite kitchenware to decorate with. It never went in my kitchen but in a china cabinet.

I didn't know about ebay yet (so many many years ago) but I was in a mom and pop pharmacy and the gal behind the cash register was hoping to win a Winnie The Pooh something or other. I got home and looked up what ebay was all about and starting collecting more of the delphite and chalaine pieces.

I also have always bought and collected cookbooks. I could spend hours in a book store looking thru the cookbooks... mostly those for pastries, pies and cakes. Always was more of a baker than a cook.

Finally I decided to start selling and have been doing it for decades.
    I agree, if I only knew what I knew today I would have made out like a bandit.

NanaB, judy, kentworld and 6 others like this.
  17. charlie cheswick

I found a vintage chinese Peking golden swallow real fur hat today

Trapper style

Gonna see me through winter in style !!

18. charlie cheswick

Very interesting thanks pearls

We've got some early mrs beeton cookbooks at home, will have to check them

judy, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Always for me. When I started going to school I'd be bringing home junk I found on the street. Empty liquor bottles. Car scrap. Bugs - living or dead. It all looked so cool to me. We lived very close to a junkyard, which was forbidden territory, but I couldn't resist - there were stray ball bearings! So round! So shiny! When I was a little kid , I was given the choice of a tricycle or a wagon. I took the wagon. I needed it to carry stuff. Visiting at my grandparents, I'd stay in the room that was my father's as a child. The whole decor was from the '20s and '30s, and there was a closet full of my father's childhood stuff - toys, books, even a stamp collection going back to the 1860s (which I still have). I still occasionally look for the framed motto that hung on the wall. I know the verse. From when I was five or six years old, I remember an iridescent amethyst glass Jack-in-the Pulpit vase and still wonder what happened to it. There wasn't a situation you could put me in, indoors or out, where there wasn't something irresistible to put in my pocket.

judy, kentworld, johnnycb09 and 8 others like this.
  20. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Didn't have a choice......grew up with them as early as I can remember!!! I'd say Mom was totally addicted to them!:happy:

judy, kentworld, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted