social distancing part two

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Fid, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

blech1k (1024x856).jpg
    blech3k (1024x968).jpg
    bkechmarke1.JPG
    blechmarke2.JPG
    soooo, let's talk blech. goes in the same direction as the stein, but this time it's Berlin.
    Berliner Electro-Plated-Waren-Fabrik Siegmar Lewy. existed from 1916 to 1940; amazingly late till liquidation.
    the second mark is Albert Rosenhain, a department store.
    the second item, probably for white and rock sugar, has even a DRGM mark and the silverplate seems thicker.
    blech2 (1024x951).jpg
    blechmarke3.JPG
    there is a list of Jewish companies in Berlin and this company seems to have existed once till 1938 - which would be "normal" - and once till 1940.

http://www2.hu-berlin.de/djgb/www/find?sort=unternehmen&fq=Branchen:"Haushaltswaren"&page=1

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice blech.
    Sad story, like so many of that dark period.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I was not familiar with the term "blech" (Except as an American expression of disgust, usually seen in written form.) So anyway, I found two definitions. Is this the one used to cover stovetop burners? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blech

Or according to one site I saw, the word "Blech" is also a German word for brass musical instruments. I have not investigated that.

i need help likes this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that wiki stuff is of course complete BS as usual when it comes to etymology of Yiddish words.
    Blech means foremost a thin sheet of metal and changed its meaning to "an item of no big value". "Schwatz kein Blech" is an old expression for "don't chatter any nonsense" and may come from the circumstances that thin metal sheets made a loud noise when they were worked in the sheet metal shops.
    so, I used it as an expression of not taking too serious myself and the topic because we were not in the mood for scientific discussions but rather to make the confinement a bit more bearable these days.;)

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Anything tin or tinny, of no value, etc.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

And that is always appreciated, Fid. Thank you!

I do know about the variability of Wikipedia's offerings. Thanks for letting me know about the word.

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

only "English" words I know that would come near it somehow are tinnef and tinsel.

Figtree3 likes this.