Featured Solid gold belt buckle, 1863. How to wear it?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Dec 30, 2018.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Hey so I bought this belt buckle today for quite a bit... $190 which is right around what the gold content is worth. I'm a sucker for this old stuff when it is going to melted down. Now I know it has problems such has a small repair and it was worn quite a bit. But the detail is still there somewhat and overall it is a nice piece IMO. It tested positive at 10k. Weighs 17 grams but deducting some of the non gold things I would expect it to be 13ish grams of 10k. Anyways how in the world could I wear this today? I need a special belt I would assume?
    20181229_213449_resized.jpg 20181229_213457_resized.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks more like a sash buckle than a belt buckle. Scooped by Holly. It can't have been made before 1868 (as I read it), but could have been made any time after that the company was still in business.

4. Bronwen

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. spartcom5

My bad! I meant 1868 I messed that up. Also thanks for the sash buckle info, every thing online says belt buckle so I just assumed

kyratango, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Patent dates mean little,an engraver handle manufacturer marked their original patent date for a graver locking collar for 100 years.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice photo's Spart !!!

kyratango likes this.
  8. Bronwen

In this case it means the buckle was not made any earlier than that. Unless successor companies continued to use the Gray name on their products, we can say it was not made after 1902. So the buckle can be accurately described as antique/Victorian.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

A really nice buckle made for a lady's dress in a band woven material of the same design, my wife is on holiday now but she can better explain that than me.
    This was used until the first world war currently and now this technique is used by fashion designers always to have a belt fabric in accordance with the dress.
    The part which broke is the teeth, I've repaired a lot of them especially when they were in steel on the lighter(or shoes) buckles.
    You make the belt yourself with the fabric you like and it's just a band with sewn ends(Velcro is a good help to protect the buckle teeth:facepalm:).

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would think 1890-1900.
    Here is some more info on sash buckles:
    http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/collectSash.html
    Very good idea. Pity I don't wear belts anymore. I do still buy buckles, why oh why?:confused:

11. spartcom5

Thank you for all the help guys!

I know this may not be a good idea but what do you guys think of having a pin attached to the back so it could be worn as a brooch of sorts? That way I would get to wear it since I am clearly not going to be wearing a sash anytime soon. I saw a similar example of this done on a piece on eBay, the pin looked to be vintage but was definitely done much later than when the buckle was made. Would there be any way to accomplish this without soldering the pin on? Maybe it could be glued on? And then it could always be taken off at a later date?

12. Any Jewelry

:muted::bag:

Maybe just display it in a cabinet? Put it on some velvet and mount it in a little frame?

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's an idea..but it looks really heavy for a brooch........

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Scarf around neck. Very "in." :)

Bronwen, judy and i need help like this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’d probably try wearing it as a belt by having a very soft nappa-ish split strap attached to one side and just slipping it through the other and knotting it with a hanging tail. You can play with it with wide ribbon and see if you like how it works before having a strap made or for that matter, try it with velvet.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

To play devil's advocate, a ton of these had pinbacks added later so they could be worn as brooches. It wouldn't be out of place as long as it's done well; it's what an owner of one of these would have done when the fashion for sash buckles went by the wayside. It wouldn't be original any more, but it would be in less danger of ever being rendered down for its component parts.

OTOH, I'd wear it as a scarf clip like someone else mentioned and save grief.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen, judy and 3 others like this.
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

18. Lecollectionneur

I don't think to use a near 20 grams buckle as a brooch can be a very good idea, my wife like brooches but don't buy them if they are too heavy, actual clothes are softer and the tissue too light for jewels made 30 or more years ago, they are the synthetic design brooches which can be used now easier on actual clothes.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  19. Lecollectionneur

Just a question to our passionate collectors lightly out of subject, are belt buckle collectors interested by shoes buckles too?:angelic:
    [​IMG]

I'm asking that because as a newcomer to etsy(made my account and begin to post in some days…), if this is some interest to put shoes buckles there too.

20. Any Jewelry

Congratulations, and good luck!
    We do. But our Etsy shop has been closed for some time now, and we listed a Frisian silver shoe buckle only just before we closed, so I have no idea of the interest. But many collectors visit Etsy regularly, which is why we thought it worthwhile.

Draft saved Draft deleted