Some Costume Jewelry

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dude, Jan 5, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if they're bakelite pieces (except the dragonfly one) and about the desirability (my guess is little) of a "certified" cubic zirconia. Thanks!

IMG_20200105_121715.jpg IMG_20200105_121709.jpg IMG_20200105_121702.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The green bakelite belt buckle and celluloid stick pin (probably used to be a jabot pin) might sell. Are the red center starbursts signed and if so by whom? What are they? Plastic? We'll need to see the backs on those to know what's going on.

Loose CZs are about 4 for $1 on a good day to crafters. Lindenwold's sent out a kajillion of them a long time ago, in hopes people would send some back to be "set" in their overpriced settings. Few people bothered.

3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thanks, e30! Here are some pics of the backs of the starbursts (I did not see a signature) and some other pics. I'm wondering what material is on the back of the stickpin?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Here's a closeup of the dragonfly piece. Is it made of pewter? Maybe some kind of mark on the upper left wing on the back. The stones have nice color (at least to me) under magnification. Glass?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. evelyb30

The top two are goners, I'm afraid. The red and gold pin is broken and has corrosion. The stick pin has "celluloid disease"; the rectangle on the back is all fractured and will fall apart sooner or later. The front bit looks salvageable if it's another plastic. The hair pin is missing stones.

i need help, judy and dude like this.
  6. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Okay, the two pins will go in the "for parts" bin. As for the hair pin, yes, it's clearly missing stones, but I was wondering: Do the remaining ones have any value (should I dig them out for someone to re-purpose) and what is the pin itself made of?

judy likes this.
  7. evelyb30

It's some sort of random metal with rhinestones. It's steel, brass or ... something. I've found two barrettes and hair pins in the last decade that were sterling; the rest have been costume.

dude likes this.
  8. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your feedback, Evelb30!

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This is verdigris. Corrosion. Anytime you see it on a piece of jewelry, don't buy it. It will spread to other metals. If it is on pieces you already have. Separate it from any metals.
    upload_2020-1-5_21-18-31.png

UncleChuckTX and dude like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

1 is verdigris
    2 the celluloid is fractured and will eventually break
    upload_2020-1-5_21-20-17.png

UncleChuckTX and dude like this.
  11. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thx, CC

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I have had luck putting damaged pieces on ebay by putting them in lots. My typical title is something like "Box Lot of Broken Costume Jewelry for Parts - Rhinestones, Bakelite, etc." The larger the lot the more likelihood it will sell. Don't expect much. I'm usually happy with $9.99.

dude likes this.
  13. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I've done the same with watches; sounds like a plan. Thx, dgbjwc!

Draft saved Draft deleted