Featured Some interesting bits in my latest jewellery haul

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ryan Kirk gregory, Sep 20, 2020.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The first image looks like it has a Coldwater Creek leaf dangle on the necklace. That points to it being sterling with peridot chip beads and dyed "stick" pearls. CC sold a bunch of similar items about a decade back. (charged a pretty penny too, considering) I just bought a necklace of what are probably cultured freshwater pearls with the same clasp as image 2. I have yet to tooth test the pearls so we'll have to see what I get. The clasp is legit though. No idea who used it, but I'd bet on multiple factories.

antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

And you’ve been telling me to test them with my teeth?! :facepalm::yuck:

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Yes!:joyful::p:D

Bronwen likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kyra, had never seen this before!

"The surface is smooth and has a harder and therefore more robust surface than natural pearls so neither perspiration, make-up, perfume, heat nor cold can damage it. In fact only an expert can tell the difference between a natural pearl and a Mallorca pearl"

Now to speak to the flammability of Mallorca pearls? Does anyone know if the resin BURNS? I ask because once when I was in a marketplace with strands of pearls for sale, I saw a seller take a bic lighter to one strand to show that they would not burn... :rolleyes:

I thought, "how dumb" because the strings should still burn!

Here is another question I have about the prefab pearls - are the "attached" to the string, or still strung as beads and knotted in between?

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

If you rub real pearls on the bottom of your front teeth, they will feel gritty. It's kinda" like biting them. Faux pearls feel slick. However, in today's world, I would only use this test on pearls I own.

antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Majorica are individally knotted and treated as real ones for manufacture. They certainly are very robust.

antidiem, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Pearls in question are a shape I had not seen before, so was wondering whether, with only photos to go by, it was possible to know something more of their nature. :)

8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

How are the holes of the white pearls? Neat and crisp or with a tiny "tube" surrounding?

Bronwen likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I wonder about of that dust glued together - would the surface of the finish - burn?

Does anybody know for sure if one can splatter vinegar or other potentially damaging mild substance on Majorica pearls? I think some of the pearls I have may be that type and I don't even know it! ;)

Sure seems possible after review of this thread and the links, thanks all.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd not use vinegar, but I've used a drop of Fairy liquid in water on them.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I think if you are referring to the first set in Biwa style and if they are are Mallorca they are ground and formed. I believe

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted