Some of my old books.

Discussion in 'Books' started by MR Treasure Hunter, Oct 11, 2020.

1. MR Treasure Hunter

MR Treasure Hunter Well-Known Member

Here are some photos of some of my old books. If there are any that stand out or some that might look a little special I'd love to know.

There is a lot of history in these old books. I love the illustrations.

WP_20201011_14_35_42_Pro.jpg WP_20201011_14_36_11_Pro.jpg WP_20201011_14_39_50_Pro.jpg WP_20201011_14_40_31_Pro.jpg WP_20201011_14_40_42_Pro.jpg WP_20201011_14_40_59_Pro.jpg WP_20201011_14_41_32_Pro.jpg

Ex Libris and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

MR Treasure Hunter likes this.
  3. MR Treasure Hunter

Thanks for the link.

I've just been reading The Sunday Strand book its full of so much like that book has everything from ads to many other things, I'm just blown away by it, its like going back in time. I've had that book for a while but never opened it. Some of the photos of people in that book have such haunted looking faces.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Strand was a periodical (like a magazine or weekly newspaper.) Your "book" is a compilation of issues, reprinted and then bound. You should be able to tell what period if covered. Usually a year's worth.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's fun to read some of the old books. I have some, and a few years ago decided to read as many as I could. I had bought most of them just for the covers or illustrations. Many of them were fun to read, with a few clunkers.

6. MR Treasure Hunter

The book was printed in 1906.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. MR Treasure Hunter

Absolutely, one of the books I like is one called Friends Of The Farm which is from the 19th century and I like the bit where it says "we'd be lost without a horse" and it tells you about how important it is to repair and maintain the carriages. The old books are so well written not like today.

I also found a bit of Victorian wall paper in one of the books which may have been laced with arsenic.

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember that I had Disney wall paper from the 1950s that was laced with banned insecticide to kill mosquitoes.
    greg

9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I like looking books up on bookfinder.com. They pull info from all book sale lites. Easy to use as well.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That is handy. Thanks for making me aware.

Debora

11. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I recognize the name Heber as a woman poet. Since there were not as many women poets before the 20th Century, that might have some value.

MR Treasure Hunter likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Heber volume may be poems by Reginald.

Debora

13. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

That's correct. The volume I have is for Hemans, Heber and Pollok, and I hadn't seen it for a long time and forgot that the woman poet was Hemans.

14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I’ll take the British Butterflies book! Does it have lovely illustrations? Just curious. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted