Featured Some war medals from my collection.

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by daveydempsey, Jun 4, 2014.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Just a few of my war medals, all silver.

This one is named to one of my ancestors who was on HMS Trafalgar at the Battle of Sebastopol, Crimean War. 1854-1856.
    012_zpsf9f36480-horz.jpg

Boer War, South Africa 1899-1902 with 6 extra battle clasps.

036_zps4dd7091d-horz.jpg

Egypt 1885

034_zps119dfbd1-horz.jpg

Distinguished Conduct Medal (High Honour) WWI
    032_zps627ba020-horz.jpg

Bravery in the Field, (High Honour) WWI

030_zps394b1817-horz.jpg

Somaliland 1908-10

028_zps4ff2d716-horz.jpg

Palestine Medal 45-48.

016_zpsa9fdfb79-horz.jpg

2. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Wow Davey those are very, very nice.

3. daveydempsey

Thankyou,
    It all started when I bought a box of coins and found some general service medals among them, I thought it was sad that these brave men who are long dead have had their medals just tossed into a mixture of coins.
    British & Commonwealth medals from before WWII are named around the edge with the recipients name, rank and service number and which branch of the armed forces they were in.
    It is possible to do research on each named man via the National Archives.

4. der_adler1

der_adler1 Member

Those are also some fairly uncommon medals from some far away and long forgotten campaigns. It is nice to see one that belonged to a relative.

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Another, WOW, here Dave! I'm impressed! Thank you for sharing.

--- Susan

6. daveydempsey

Thanks guys, they truly are treasures.
    I still search for my maternal grandfathers WWI medals, no one in the family recalls seeing them and pops never discussed the war.
    We think they might have melted in one of two houses which got bombed out in WWII, just about everything was lost apart from a case of photographs.

My dad has a display case tucked away in his bedroom with his own WWII trio of medals, it will be a sad day when I inherit them.

7. der_adler1

der_adler1 Member

Dave, yours unfortunately is not an uncommon story. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

8. daveydempsey

Thankyou,
    The problem searching for medals is that my Grandfather was called George Williams .
    In 1914 there were 513 George Williams from Yorkshire alone serving in the British Army.
    Here he is aged 18 in 1914 before going to the front, he was badly wounded in Ypres and brought home, most of his regiment were not so lucky.

img859.jpg

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Davey,
    Great looking medals and seeing your Grandfather I see were you got your looks from. lol
    I have several medals from the NYC police but none of them have any Id on them. Due to Homeland security I am not able to sell them but even if I could wouldn't. Same goes for uniform gold buttons, cap badges etc.
    greg

10. der_adler1

der_adler1 Member

I recommend to families that they keep most military items in the family since they have more sentimental value to the family that monetary value to a dealer.

11. daveydempsey

Most families don`t though, usually real sentinental memories only last 2-3 generations.
    When it gets to 3-4 generations the medal recipient was never known by the family and they fail to do any research, any sentiment is taken over by money. Sad but true.

12. daveydempsey

Hi Greg,
    You can sell them on another ebay site like UK or AU though.
    I used to have a LAPD breast badge from my cousin in CA, he was a cop in the late 60`s through to the 80`s
    I lost it in a house move and it has never turned up..

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Davey,
    Thanks for the hint on other selling site.
    greg

14. der_adler1

der_adler1 Member

Davey,

If you send me a list of things you are looking for I will gladly keep my out for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted