Featured Someone selling grandmas baskets. Anything good?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Nov 21, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

4BD43F93-4DDB-45E9-BC18-9DB79508B01B.jpeg 5AEC51A7-5035-48D7-9EEF-869BBF7F3AEE.jpeg 0FF86766-5823-496B-8651-73AB59FB9044.jpeg 2584060F-FD83-4A38-9EA2-3109459FA774.jpeg Saw these posted today. Some guy is selling grandmas baskets. He says they are from the 30’-70’s. They don’t look like they have that much age to me but I could be wrong. Little red one is from Kenya. Otherwise he mentioned Russia, Denmark, and Mexico as sources for others without matching place to basket. I thought the two covered ones to the right of the pottery looked kind of interesting. Anything here?

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The large oval one looks like a Charleston Sweet Grass basket. If it is, that size would go for major bucks now.

3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The Gullah sweetgrass basket is the best of the lot, depending on the size. They don't usually sell for as much as Native American baskets, but generally go for a little more than the comparable Tohono O'odam (Papago) baskets that they are often mistaken for.

The little round one with the lid, in back, is a Zulu herb basket, from South Africa.

4. J Dagger

Definitely looks like it is when I compare it to others! Sadly though when I look at sold listings the results aren’t too strong. Looks like it would likely command 20-50$ if it sold on the bay. Probably on the lower to middle end of that if it sold at all. People are still buying them but many of those for under $20. All seller said is that they were “cheap”. I’ll check back and see how far away he was and how cheap, cheap is. Looks like the really fancy ones can fetch some good dough but the smaller and more basic designs not as much. The “elephant ear” design seems to be desired. Now I know what they are and what to look for in the future, thanks!

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I should have been more clear in my response above. I was speaking of the prices they are now charging down at the market & surrounding area.

I bought a large round one with loops all around the sides back in the early 90's in Charleston. I think I paid around $60, but now the same basket would likely have a price of more than double what I paid.

It has been several years since I was in Charleston, but I was quite surprised by the prices. I do understand the cost though because there is a lot of work that goes into weaving one especially the more intricate ones.

6. J Dagger

Gotcha! I still have not been to Charleston but it’s high on the list of places I would like to go here in the U.S.. I’ve heard nothing but good things. Visually it looks like a very exciting place. By all means the craftspeople should be charging a good price for their work if they can get it.

i need help likes this.
  7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

You will want to use Gullah in the ID of the Charleston basket. You can google Gullah baskets and see some similar to the one pictured.

judy, J Dagger and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted