Featured Something special from Tuscan China

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Becky Dahl, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Becky Dahl

Becky Dahl Member

I'm always on the lookout for demitasse coffee cup sets for a friend who collects them. This set is so lovely. Made between 1907 and 1920 in England by Tuscan China. They're fine bone china, translucent in the light, and I'm in love with the little key shaped handles. fderfd.jpg ytghhyt.jpg 20220630_162023.jpg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

You know Tuscan China was a trade name used by R.H. & S.L. Plant, right?

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I have several decorated Tuscan china sets/pieces and have always thought the name highly under-rated by serious collectors. They've done some of the sweetest designs. :)
    I've never heard of that handle type being called "key-shaped". Is that your own term, or a more widely used descriptor that I'm simply unaware of? (It doesn't appear like a key to me, and I've seen these handle shape fairly often on older teacups.)

1906:
    [​IMG]

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Isn't that handle shape often seen on shaving mugs?

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  5. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

My Grandma worked at Tuscan in the 50's I think. Not far from my home, they made some very fine and pretty china. Very traditional and very evocative of the majority of Stoke-on-Trent's output over their production period.

Figtree3, bluumz and Becky Dahl like this.
  6. JunkshopJim

JunkshopJim Active Member

I recently purchased a Tuscan hollyhock pattern cup and saucer. Very pretty indeed. I would upload images but apparently I have filled my quota. Do I earn a medal for that?

Becky Dahl likes this.
  7. Becky Dahl

Becky Dahl Member

I agree, they are underrated! Key shaped isn't a real descriptor as far as I know, it's just how I saw them

Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
  8. Becky Dahl

Becky Dahl Member

No, I didn't know that. I'm very new to this.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@JunkshopJim
    There is no "quota" for a member's pictures attached on an overall basis. There is a limit of 10 images attached by an individual member in a single post (note Post not thread.) You have not attached any images to this thread, so what error message are you receiving?

10. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I picked up this 18 piece set the other day for £2 in a charity shop

No makers marks at all apart from a 4 digit decorator number

$_57 - 2022-04-19T225531.322.jpg $_57 - 2022-04-19T225557.093.jpg $_57 - 2022-04-19T225615.437.jpg $_57 - 2022-04-19T225715.701h.jpg $_57 - 2022-04-19T225755.388.jpg $_57 - 2022-04-19T225841.203.jpg $_57 - 2022-04-19T225902.932.jpg

Figtree3, Becky Dahl and bercrystal like this.
  11. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

£2...18 pieces...11p each!!

I love those! Look like Demitasse cups. You get these up just by searching all the possible keywords for a teacup or demitasse with 'greek key' added. It was a very popular design reproduced by quite a few potters in Stoke-on-Trent. I have a Foley China cup with the same pattern from the 30's but the style of the gilding and the way the pattern number is presented makes me say yours is Victorian.

The dots inside the rim are an unusual addition but it's hard to match them up.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    bercrystal and charlie cheswick like this.
  12. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

That's very helpful, thanks Nathan, didn't know how to describe them at all

13. JunkshopJim

Hi there It states that I can't upload more than 50MB so cant upload any more.

14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just guessing at this...
    Are you uploading the photos into your albums/media page? If so, instead try using the "Upload a File" button in the thread itself (under the text box and to the right of the "Post Reply" button).
    I don't even have an Albums or Media page, I upload photos directly in the thread.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  15. JunkshopJim

Okay ill try that instead, thanks. I was under the impression you had your upload them to the gallery first

16. JunkshopJim

Well I've tried uploading directly to the thread and it won't let me do it full stop. Just says file is too large. I like the people in this forum but the format of it gets up my nose.

17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Are you using your smartphone for the photos? A lot of members have problems with this method. I believe they suggest emailing them to yourself & choose the medium size.

JunkshopJim likes this.
  18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Most photos are too large for the forum and have to be reduced in size first. As already suggested, try emailing them to yourself and during that process reducing their size. Then open the email and save the smaller sized photos.
    Or use an app to reduce the photo size.
    I always have to reduce my photos before I post here.

bercrystal likes this.
  19. JunkshopJim

Draft saved Draft deleted