Featured South Asian/Persian painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chinoiserie, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I found this today. I was quite chuffed with it. Nice South Asian little painting in a crap modern frame. I took it out of the frame to see what medium it was painted on and it's a piece of plastic. Flipping plastic. Kind of taken the shine off it now :mad:

IMG20240321163820_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240321163827_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240321163844_copy_2730x3640.jpg IMG20240321163905_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240321164016_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240321163953_copy_3000x4000.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is plastic and not bone? These 'miniatures' are generally painted on camel/dromedary bone.

It is a nice one. It was probably in an inlaid Persian frame.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  3. Chinoiserie

Feels like plastic and bends like it. Id not considered that it could be bone. Maybe it is. Regardless of what it's on, it is good quality as you say.

I have another similar drawing that is in a micromosaic frame. I thought that this might have come in something similar originally, and was going to try and find something more appropriate to do it justice.

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

It deserves it. You can still find those for a reasonable price, at least overhere.

johnnycb09 and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It could be early celluloid.

Either way I bet you got the hump after that discovery:rolleyes::D

6. Chinoiserie

Yeah there are loads of touristy bits about. I'll try the charity shops. If that fails I can always go to eBay..

How do I ascertain if it's bone?

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

It was a bit of a poke in the eye

I can live with celluloid. At least it's got some history.

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

That's a difficult one, because these Persian and Turkish paintings are generally on bleached bone, so you won't see any hairlines or dots. But bone fluoresces, so a UV light helps.

charlie cheswick and Chinoiserie like this.
  9. Chinoiserie

Ah okay. I have unhappy memories of my plastic amber necklace glowing too.

10. Any Jewelry

Yellow pigments tend to glow or fluoresce, usually glow rather than fluoresce. Plus a UV test never gives you 100% proof.:(

Chinoiserie likes this.
  11. Chinoiserie

I have had another look and I can't see it being anything other than plastic. On closer inspection though, the painting appears to be on a fine laminate sitting on top of the plastic. I have tried to capture this but a bit difficult.

IMG20240321183835_copy_4000x3000.jpg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

When I click on your photo I can see that it is layered. So probably painted on bone, backed with plastic or celluloid.

Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  13. Chinoiserie

Amazing how they sliced the bone so thin.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like two layers of something from here too. That may be the original frame. I've seen that backing on later Persian pieces with the inlaid frames too. Unless the original was damaged and this one happened to fit the original backing?

Chinoiserie and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted