Southwestern Sandpaper Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Oct 7, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

IMG_4503.JPG IMG_4504.JPG IMG_4505.JPG I usually see similar in smaller sizes and wood backing. This one is on canvas and large, maybe over 35" long.
    Wonder if it is a mass prosuced decorative piece or made by an actual artist?
    Thanks

judy likes this.
  2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I would say it's the mass-produced decorative piece choice.

It appears to be a recent giclée print, with dubious "Indian-theme" imagery.

Or perhaps the original maker was just using his/her artistic license to create a fantasy grouping of what looks like a fairly believable Zia olla, a replica Plains Indian horse dance stick, and an African coiled basket made by the Hausa.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

IMG_4520.JPG Thanks for the info.
    Not sure what do you mean by giclee print? To me it looks like hand painted over applied sand texture.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    judy likes this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Giclée is the fancy name for digital prints, made on inkjet printers. They can make high-quality copies on canvas, watercolor paper, photo paper, and other textured surfaces to give a more realistic appearance.

judy likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

Hm, I may be wrong but I don't see this piece being digitally printed. Still could be a "factory painting" but done by hand.

judy likes this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Could be. I wouldn't want to make a definitive answer based solely on a photo, other than to safely say it's not an original Native American Navajo sand painting.

Giclée prints were first made for museums, and high-end collectors who wanted to display a painting they owned, but didn't want to take the risk. The copies, since they are so exact and can be printed on textured grounds, often can't be distinguished from originals unless examined close up. But once the price came down to the point it became possible for artists and craftspeople to be able to afford to reproduce their own work, it's created a small revolution in the print making market.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. kardinalisimo

IMG_4920.JPG IMG_4921.JPG So, they applied the sand texture on the canvas and run it through a printer? And I guess they had to have a digital file with the image which they have created on computer or photographed an original?
    I guess at the end of the day it does not matter how it was made. Hope someone like it :)

Here are few more pieces by "Folio"
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/Art-painting-Indian-pottery-Sand-painting-Signed-Folio-20-x-15/162703790738?hash=item25e1e6d292:g:6q0AAOSwSlBY4R9d

https://www.etsy.com/listing/550185025/26x30-native-american-sand-painting?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=sand painting folio&ref=sr_gallery_1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/554601...ch_query=sand painting folio&ref=sr_gallery_2

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. Lindas paintings

Lindas paintings New Member

I also have 2 Folio sand paintings. I have not seen duplicated photos.
    How would I know if they are real or fake? I hate using the fake word. They were actually in a hoard of papers that my father in law had. If I had not of seen them, they would have been burnt.
    How can I find out their worth? I'm willing to sale them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2023
  10. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

According to the above, they are decor prints. You can take a picture and use Google Lens to find others, or you can use keywords. Input into places like e Bay and check the box for "sold." Keyword or Lens search in google and look at sold prices. Sell on e Bay, etsy, FB marketplace, local auction house, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted