Southwestern Style Rugs

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Barn Owl, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I bought these two rugs at a rummage sale. The design is replicated on the backs, so from my research, it sounds as though they are handwoven? They were purchased in Arizona, so I'm thinking Navajo. I'd love your thoughts.
    IMG_0603.JPG IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0567.JPG IMG_0560.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

From what I remember - almost all Navajo weavings will NOT have fringe.

judy likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Learned that here. The first looks like an Indian kilim, the second looks 1970s "Southwestern." Someone will be along shortly who knows for sure.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

First rule connected with this topic: Where something is found or purchased may have nothing whatsoever to do with where it was made.

Second: Navajo rugs are identified not by the design, but by the way they are woven.

Third: It is impossible to weave a rug with fringe on both ends on a Navajo loom.

Neither rug is Navajo or Native American. The Navajo use a unique loom and weaving technique (an upright loom with a continuous warp, using an interlocking tapestry stitch.)

DizzyDaff, laura9797, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The last one looks like a dhurrie to me, from India. They were hugely popular in the 70s-80s.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  6. Vincent J. LaRuffa

Vincent J. LaRuffa New Member

Nice rugs regardless. They have some value.

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

This one is probably Afghan (or thereabouts), a wool kilim.
    [​IMG]

laura9797 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted