Featured Speaking of Cavaliers and Dolls....................

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mansons2005, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight or comments regarding these two figures - which I will assume were intended for a diorama or some such. Will the condition of the fabrics and "sprung" wire embroidery give any indication of age? As far as I know, they originated in England, and I know that they have been in storage for at least the past 30 years (since they came into my possession) - other than that, I know nothing.
    They appear to represent Civil War Royalists
    Approx 10" tall
    Crafted of carved wood with what appears to be gesso faces
    The armour is metal (tin?), painted with radiator paint
    The fabrics are thin and appear to be hand sewn and embroidered
    The hair is human hair
    They are jointed at the arms and parts of the legs.
    Condition is terrible, and it appears that someone attempted to "remodel" one of the faces...................

MVC-123S.JPG MVC-124S.JPG MVC-126S.JPG MVC-127S.JPG MVC-125S.JPG MVC-128S.JPG MVC-130S.JPG MVC-129S.JPG

Think it is worth offering these on a site (with no listing fees) at a BIN price? Where would I start to even calculate a price????

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Not a doll collector, but just looking at the way the foot is done. I would guess mid-1800s.

Before doing a BIN, wait for doll people to answer. Even in poor condition, they may have some value.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Those are wonderful! I see little circles at their joints,could they have been puppets?

4. Mansons2005

Well, there's a big DOH! I never even considered puppets...............I'll have to look again and see if that is likely...........not that I know anything about puppets - except the Sock variety

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

6. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

8. Mansons2005

Oh, THANK you!

Now, what the he77 do I do with them?????????????

I think their condition probably puts them at the bottom of the value scale..........but I certainly don't need them cluttering up the clean up when I've gone toes up...........................

9. Mansons2005

O, and I just realized that mine are much smaller than those depicted in the link...........about one quarter the size.

Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  10. Mansons2005

For once, I can't seem to be bothered with much research and think that I will just pop these onto Bonanza with a BIN of $400 for the two and see what happens.........making no suppositions or false claims of course. Just as clear a description as I can possibly produce, allowing the prospective buyer to decide...................

not very professional, I realize, but.............................

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Let us know what happens. I, too, don't need them, but they are fascinating.

12. Mansons2005

The one fellow does bear a strong resemblance to Charlie 2, but I didn't want to colour anyone's opinion.......but thanks for reinforcing mine!

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I would think being even smaller "could" make them even more valuable!!!! JMHO!!

Draft saved Draft deleted