Featured Special Lantern Slides 1906

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by daveydempsey, Jun 25, 2019.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think political cartoon on the first is a possibility. The others are interesting and, I think, more skilled in execution. I don't see any two being from the same hand. I also don't see any apparent continuity between the images.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

well, when I first saw the first one it reminded me of the unfortunate and racist ads for promos that were made to degrade African Americans. I don't know if I am right or not, but that is what came to my mind.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. i need help

i need help Well-Known Member

CDA088CC-ADC0-4F18-95D8-ACCEB4A7C6B5.jpeg Is there something written here?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Dave47

Dave47 Active Member

Exaggerated nose, dark skin, huge red lips, fuzzy hair - sure looked like a caricature from here. The British allowed "minstrel shows" well into the modern era (The BBC "Black and White Minstrel Show" lasted until 1978).

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/12/goll...ney-piggy-bank-sold-at-antiques-shop-8131567/

And "magic lantern" is a general term. Not a "trade name". They go back hundreds of years.

So UK racism went on long after it was improper in the US.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Still don't see Black Americana.

Debora

Jivvy likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

improper...certainly
    a thing of the past....... not so much !

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. Dave47

Dave47 Active Member

Black Victoriana? I wonder what the batch number was on the specific slide - as it is missing a large piece apparently. Is it marked "Ilford"?

9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

The more I look at it, the more I am convinced the first one was that racist stuff.

Not too long ago, I was at a sale and overheard someone spewing some racist garbage about Obama. And then more recently I was at a sale and this guy was shooting his mouth off about his favorite Nazi show. My skin was crawling and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BOARED!

If there's a signature in this circled lower left corner, it's not too clear to most of us............

X2ZZZZZZ CDA088CC-ADC0-4F18-95D8-ACCEB4A7C6B5-edit.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Not a signature, it is adhesive residue from when the tape border was applied.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the man with the big nose is a caricature of a British poiltician of the day, which could be 1906 or earlier, since the orginal prints are probably older. He would still have been a recognizable figure in 1906 though, otherwise what was the point of making a slide.

If he is meant to be of (part)African descent, which I am not convinced of at all, the only British politician I could find who fits that bill had a moustache on all the photos I saw of him. And he didn't have a big nose.
    Many other British politicians did have fairly big noses.:playful:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    i need help, Jivvy and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Australia

Draft saved Draft deleted