Spode, Royal Doulton, Squirrel Brand

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Michelle Davies, Sep 2, 2023.

1. Michelle Davies

Michelle Davies New Member

Hi,

I recently bought a lovely little plate with Spode markings and a small milk jug with Royal Doulton markings in a local shop and wondered if anyone could please shed more light on these and their worth? I read on another site that Spode and Royal Doulton are quite collectable and reputable quality brands. Is this still the case?

I've also come across a silver looking cup without handles that has markings on the bottom saying "Squirrel Brand Made in England" in another local shop. Does anyone know the origins of Squirrel Brand? I wanted to make further enquiries before buying.
    spode plate.jpg spode plate markings.jpg royal doulton milk jug.jpg royal doulton milk jug markings.jpg squirrel brand cup.jpg

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Welcome, Michelle!
    I am an American that collects, and sometimes sells, English china.
    This forum is not really a place for evaluations, though some might offer advice. Price depends a lot on location, too, and you don't say where in the world you are.
    I will say is that none of the pieces would have come home from the thrift store with me. Neither of the china pieces are anything "special" and the silver piece is likely silverplate, of which very little is ever worth anything substantial.

komokwa likes this.
  4. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Value notwithstanding, all three pieces are cute as can be! Enjoy! (I'd put sugar in the silver cup, for my morning coffee, and hunt for a go-with silver pitcher. :) )

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

upload_2023-9-2_11-9-16.jpeg

Does your mark look like this?

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Squirrel Brand was a trade mark of S J Levi of Birmingham. Their building was known as the Squirrel Works.

7. Michelle Davies

apologies, I'm based in West Sussex, England.

bluumz likes this.
  8. Michelle Davies

Silly me forgot to take a photo of the markings underneath! The bowl is still in the shop so I'll take a photo when I next go in there.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Brit here. If you’re buying the little silver plate thing for yourself, that’s fine, but the resale value would be minimal sadly. Same with the Spode and doulton, so I’d use those.

It’s a good idea to go round antique centres and to trawl through eBay sold listings, it gives an idea if a thing is good for resale.

Michelle Davies, Houseful and bluumz like this.
  10. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Michelle Davies likes this.
  11. Michelle Davies

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. It helps me to build up my knowledge of various pottery, earthenware etc. I'll make sure in future to take photos of all markings to help better identify items. The Spode plate and Royal Doulton milk/creamer jug were inexpensive so I'm still happy with the finds.

12. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Personally, I find the "Squirrel Brand" delightful. Will start looking for more!

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They’re pretty and they’re quality and way better than mass market modern. Buying bits and bobs because you like them is a pretty good start point.

silverbell likes this.
  14. Michelle Davies

These are images that give a better look at the cup and the markings. Look similar to your image but without the "EPNS".
    squirrel brand cup 2.jpg squirrel brand cup markings.jpg

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so, that's a flower frog...

bluumz and Bakersgma like this.
  16. Michelle Davies

Oh that's what it's called. Thanks for the info. Never heard of that term before.

bluumz, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

iff I didn't hang out here , with such knowledgeable folks.....I wouldn't have known that either...... & the funny thing is...I have a big brass one !!:wacky::wacky::wacky:

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted