Featured Spode Serving Bowl - Seeking Confirmation of Age

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Nov 16, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I bought this bowl at auction thinking it was later 19th century due to the decoration but in researching it I found some signs it might be earlier. It measures a little over 14" wide, a little over 5" tall and about 9 3/4" wide. The marks are as follows: Partial Spode ink mark in blue (circa 1840?), an impressed SPODE 23 mark (assuming 23 is the shape number?), a four digit red number 3271 (?) (assuming pattern number) and a small red cypher above the pattern number (decorator?). I know there are folks out there who know early English porcelain a lot better than I do and I'm hoping someone can confirm the above and maybe provide a little more info. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank
    you!
    Don

IMG_20191116_153404848.jpg IMG_20191116_153447020.jpg IMG_20191116_153459604.jpg IMG_20191116_153505249.jpg IMG_20191116_153517218.jpg IMG_20191116_153527485.jpg

cxgirl, Miscstuff and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The number is 3277.

dgbjwc likes this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Wow! How very unSpodish!

dgbjwc likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, janetpjohn! I couldn't quite make out that last digit.

Yes, that's rather what I thought too.
    Don

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think this is going to date to the early 1800s. Fantastic colors.

dgbjwc likes this.
  6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

If you google Spode 3277 you will see pictures of other pieces of this. One mentioned 1820's as a date. I don't know if that's accurate.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I believe it's earthenware rather than porcelain.
    I think you may be able to get a rough date for the pattern from the bit of info here. They show a few of the dates from their pattern catalogue and yours would seem to fall a bit after the 3219 pattern of 1820.

http://www.spodemuseumtrust.org/spode-collection-5.html

pearlsnblume, cxgirl and dgbjwc like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

OK! The ENORMOUS ("Big enough to bath the baby in") sterling centerpiece I saw on my first trip to The Silver Vaults has now a companion! I want one of Spode's blue and white foot baths!

Actually, both are about the same size.

patd8643 likes this.
  10. Silver

Silver Active Member

If you belong to Facebook try asking about this on the British Pottery and Porcelain Discussion Group. There is a woman there who is a Spode expert.

I should warn in advance 'tho that they are STICKLERS for their posting rules being adhered to and some members can be very brusque.

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted