Featured Spoons, etc.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by DragonflyWink, May 28, 2022.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Lovely items and lovely photos Cheryl :)

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Oh geez, pretty sure I know what's up with the disappearing pics, should be able to fix shortly!

~Cheryl

Dammit - too late to edit, will repost in a few minutes...

Any Jewelry, judy and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that was weird..........

Any Jewelry and DragonflyWink like this.
  4. DragonflyWink

Repost from yesterday with restored images:

A 1799 Danish fish server (fiskespade) with slight damage, but an interesting allegorical engraving, the broken column/pillar usually associated with a 'life cut short':

[​IMG]
    danish-fish-spade-1799-1 (1).jpg

danish-fish-spade-1799-2 (1).jpg

danish-fish-spade-1799-3 (1).jpg

Have wanted a Scandinavian horse-handled wooden mangle board for years, never finding one I loved and could afford as well - so couldn't resist this cake server (kakespade) by Norwegian maker Th. Olsens, the design pretty clearly based on mangle boards. Have never seen anything quite like it, and am so charmed by what may be the cutest silver horse ever - the mangle boards in the composites are all 18th or 19th century:

[​IMG]
    horse-mangle-board-cake-spade-Th-Olsens-01 (1).jpg

horse-mangle-board-cake-spade-Th-Olsens-05 (1).jpg

horse-mangle-board-cake-spade-Th-Olsens-03 (1).jpg

horse-mangle-board-cake-spade-Th-Olsens-comparisons-1.jpg

horse-mangle-board-cake-spade-Th-Olsens-comparisons-2.jpg

Most of my spoon displays (all packed away at the moment) have glass doors to help prevent tarnish, but couldn't resist this 24" pyrography rack and tried it out with some Danish and Norwegian spoons before packing everything up:

[​IMG]
    pyrography-spoon-rack-danish-and-norwegian-spoons (1).jpg

Harlequin set of enamel bowl 'coffee bean' spoons in original Harrods case, Turner & Simpson, Birmingham 1949 - acquired for a song because the seller couldn't see the marks for the tarnish:

spoons-enamel-turner-simpson-1949-composite.jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  5. DragonflyWink

Repost from yesterday with restored images:

Gotta respect a spoon that firmly states its use, I've seen the old Breyer's promotional spoons before, but can't recall ever seeing this piece, made by the fairly obscure early 20th century New York manufacturer E.M. Weinberg & Co., their 'Three' pattern - some plating wear, but couldn't pass it up:

weinberg-ice-cream-spoon-1 (1).jpg

weinberg-ice-cream-spoon-3 (1).jpg

When I wrapped and packed up the silver from my house, left my flatware service and a bunch of serving pieces in their chest, when I looked inside recently, there was quite a bit of tarnish, so I polished it all, including the three berry spoons that were my first serving pieces, picked up at the flea market frequented when I was a teenager. Frank Smith engraved, unnamed Knowles, Blackinton 'Verona':

spoons-3-from-my-teens-1 (1).jpg

Silver, all bright and shiny:

international-spring-glory-service-misc-serving-01 (1).jpg

A grouping of some of my late 19th-early 20th century plique-à-jour spoons - Norwegian, American, and two likely German:

plique-a-jour-spoons-2 (1).jpg

Some American 'love' spoons with heart-shaped bowls and twist stems, the three at top center plique-à-jour (also in pic above):

heart-bowl-love-spoons-american-1 (1).jpg

Some Navajo salt spoons, the two mid 20th century shaker/sifter spoons at the bottom by cousins George Kee and Kenneth Begay for White Hogan shop:

navajo-salt-spoons-mine-1 (1).jpg

navajo-salt-spoons-mine-2 (1).jpg

~Cheryl

6. DragonflyWink

Yes, it was weird! Sorry...

As briefly as I can make it: I usually upload images from my files, but this thread was image-heavy and so started taking the shortcut of just copying and pasting the pics, which would have been fine - but then I had to purge all my cache, cookies, and site data in effort to correct an issue locking me out of T-Mobile (an ongoing glitch they've had for years), and it apparently deleted the images here as well - lesson learned.

Have spent the last 10 days in endless, time-sucking customer service hell with a company I've been with for 23 years (from before the T-Mobile name even existed) - been happy with them, with very few problems, but what started with a simple request to add home internet escalated into a nightmare of foul-ups with hours and hours of phone and chat exchanges with a litany of deceitful, incompetent reps, fortunately all eventually solved by a smaller group of efficient reps (will say all, good or bad, were unfailingly polite) - a healthy credit to my account helped a bit, but it really wasn't enough. Was so exhausted last night from working with them to correct the login issue and another problem, that I just crashed before I could restore the images...

~Cheryl

7. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

Having recently disassociated myself from Comcast, I feel your pain, Cheryl! My ordeal put me in bed to sleep for 13 hours. "Deceitful, incompetent reps," all of whom say "Thank you' three hundred times in five minutes...Aaarghh!

bercrystal, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

I'm sorry, Sue, I phrased my question badly - should have been more clear in asking if you've seen the Weinberg ice cream spoon before (and guessing the images had gone 'poof' by the time you saw it)...

Here are the only ice cream forks (sporks) I own, Manchester's 1951 Pierced Handle:

ice-cream-forks-manchester-pierced-handle (1).jpg

9. DragonflyWink

Hehe, will admit to enjoying research...

~Cheryl

10. DragonflyWink

Feel for you as well! Never had to deal with anything for so long (10 days!), their constant errors and lies adding new problems every day - then had to deal with a pushy, then snarky rep when I cancelled my Spectrum/Charter internet...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I agree with the terrible situation of dealing with the cable companies.
    I had an issue with my tv not connecting to the cable box. They sent me a new cable box after I explained what was going on for 1 month and that did not work. No tv on one tv for 1 month.

Finally 3 months after this, they finally decided to send out a tech to see what the issue was. He fixed it in under 5 min. The connection from the tv to the cable box somehow got screwed up and simply had to be reset. I could have done it myself if only they had listened to me on the phone as to what the screen was saying.

Now each month I have to call Optimum because they keep overcharging me for things I don't have, did not sign up for and don't want. Unfortunately here, they are the only game in town so I can't leave them. But the wasted hours and aggravation they cause is beyond comprehension.

It is a mess so I sympathize with those who have issues.

12. Silverthorne

Thank you, Pearl! And a pox on Optimum! How does three months with only the Christmas Hallmark channel sound? Or, one month with the weather channel? And that was one of the months when my computer was unable to get past the first screen. And my stove died. And then the microwave went belly up. And even the refrigerator got in the act; it lost that sticky thing on the door that keeps the cold in.

All this and having to deal with Reps whose IQs average about 67?!!!

I hath vented!

13. pearlsnblume

That sounds awful Silver.

DragonflyWink, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  14. Silverthorne

Was! However, head is bloodied, but as yet unbowed.

15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a lot of rants!!

Yes, Cheryl now I understand about the spoon that says Ice Cream. It's there now!

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're too kind. We have them here as well.:rolleyes:

judy and DragonflyWink like this.
  17. DragonflyWink

After a few days of further aggravation due to a hateful hacker, my laptop is back in service, so thought I'd relax a bit and post some more pics...

This tiny spouted ladle, just a shade over 3.5" (9.1 cm) long, has been attributed to 18th century London maker Thomas Wallis I (Phil's silvermakersmarks.com comparison mark is dated 1769) - might be a toy, but more likely a condiment ladle/spoon, the capacity only a half-teaspoon. The 'Onslow' pattern is one of my favorites, originally used mostly for serving pieces, the terminal cast and soldered to the stem with a slanted 'scarf joint', with this elegant little piece constructed the same as its larger relatives.

onslow-ladle-tiny-TW-composite.jpg
    onslow-ladle-tiny-TW-comparison (2).jpg

Though it's not an active collection, started gathering Sage Green Wedgwood jasperware after my Mom gave me a pair of earrings in my early teens - knew that in 1983 they'd issued individually boxed ball finial sterling spoons in different colors, and have had one in black for years. Then I ran across a harlequin set of all six colors (Black, Royal Blue, Pale Blue, Sage Green, Lilac, and Terracotta), and fully gilt, unlike those sold individually - so now I have the Sage Green along with all the others...

wedgwood-harlequin-set-spoons-sterling-birmingham-1983 (1).jpg

An addition to my Lily of the Valley collection - a set of Gorham's 1890s #877 enamel coffee spoons, also gilt (not the original case):

gorham-LotV-877-enamel-set (1).jpg

An enamel Lily of the Valley spoon, bowl engraved "To Mac Feb. 11th '08", no maker's mark, but Watson a good possibility:

LotV-spoon-basse-taille-enamel (1).jpg

And another enameled Lily of the Valley spoon, made by Campbell-Metcalf:

spoon-campbell-metcalf-LotV-1 (1).jpg

One of my all-time favorite Danish Skønvirke patterns is 'Tang' (Seaweed), and I have several pieces, was happy to add this 1914 tea strainer to the others. The pattern made in both silver and silverplate, by a few different makers, this silver piece bears the Danish three-tower and assay-master marks, but no maker's mark - it's the variant usually associated with Carl M. Cohr:

danish-tea-strainer-tang-1914-1 (1).jpg

An addition to my wooden spoon collection - Norwegian, likely 19th century, a carved version of a 17th century silver ball-knop spoon:

Norwegian-wooden-knop-top-spoon-composite.jpg

Norwegian-wooden-knop-top-spoon-3 (1).jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    SBSVC, Pattywithay, Bakersgma and 6 others like this.
  18. pearlsnblume

all exquisite thanks for sharing.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upper deck collection !!!!!!!!
    a viewing pleasure, thanks !:happy:

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. DragonflyWink

This 8" Norwegian spoon is a premium, given as a prize at an exhibition or fair, in this case for a cattle breeder - with a simple engraved border and wheat, a stamped bull's head and 'KVÆGRØGT' (Cattle Breeding), the breeder's name engraved on the back, stamped for Bodø maker A.M. Berg. I'm a Taurus, so have several 'bull' spoons, but this one is unusual...

norwegian-premium-spoon-cattle-breeder-A-M-Berg-830-Bodo-1 (1).jpg

norwegian-premium-spoon-cattle-breeder-A-M-Berg-830-Bodo-3 (1).jpg

This 2.5" plique-à-jour salt spoon is unmarked, not uncommon for such tiny examples, but an archived (1900-14) illustration by David Andersen designer Gustav Gaudernack tells the maker:

plique-a-jour-spoon-salt-david-andersen-gustav-gaudernack-1 (1).jpg

plique-a-jour-spoon-salt-david-andersen-gustav-gaudernack-3 (1).jpg

This Norwegian plique-à-jour coffee spoon by Jacob Tostrup is an uncommon design:

plique-spoon-tostrup-old-830S-1 (1).jpg

Have a new Italian mosaic spoon, gilt 800 silver, much nicer quality than the more common gilt brass at right, already in my collection (have a couple of other brass ones packed away):

spoons-mosaic-800-silver-brass-1 (1).jpg

spoons-mosaic-800-silver-brass-3 (1).jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted