Featured St George and the dragon by Marchi S

Discussion in 'Art' started by kristiaan, Aug 4, 2018.

1. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

hey all,
    clearly Capodimonte Italy...but who is Marchi S...?
    I have been searching for two days, all I could find was a Don Quichotte by the same maker on invaluables.
    It is clearly the same artist as he holds the exactly same lance! :)

The statue is 40 cm high and sold by a famous shop in Antwerp somewhere in the '70 ties. That shop is long time history now , too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lovely piece.Calling Walter !

i need help and kristiaan like this.
  4. Figtree3

I found mention of a sculptor named Salvatore Marchi, which brings up more hits. So now my question is whether or not your porcelain item is a copy of one of his works?

Here is a link to a sculpture:
    http://www.bamfords-auctions.co.uk/archive/Three-Day-Fine-Art-Sale-June-19-2013/lot-1919/

And here is a plaster one that may be a copy of it. Well, they are probably both copies.
    https://picclick.fr/Sculpture-plâtre-polychrome-Notre-Dame-des-Victoires-signée-S-332674850236.html

A different one: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10592069_127-early-terra-cotta-sculpture-by-salvatore-marchi

And all have the name S. Marchi on them.

5. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot.
    Brings out much more then I could find!

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Figtree3

Yes, @Walter Del Pellegrino will be able to tell you more about the manufacturer of this item. Since this is in the Art forum I am tagging him in hopes he will see it.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's very pretty.......and strong..

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

: ITALIAN CERAMIC DON QUIXOTE. Italian ceramic figure of Don Quixote on horseback with barber bowl helmet and lance, polychrome gilt and raised painted jewel decoration, shaped oval base. Marked: S. Marchi 1200/51 Made in Italy P. Marioni L. Size: 16

Taken from Invaluable Don Quixote. Yours also has 1200/something. I looked up P.Marioni He is a student of Eugenio Pattarino. If you look up Eugenio Pattarino You will see both Don Quixote and St. George figures by different people. I don’t know if this is relevant or not.

Christmasjoy and kristiaan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted