Featured Stained & Cracked

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by DonnaW, Dec 12, 2023.

1. DonnaW

DonnaW Member

We all know that condition is everything...but...I don't have the heart to discard these 19th century plates. Read somewhere that pieces can be fully or partially restored. Not something I'd be willing to do, however, I'm thinking maybe someone out there would willing to buy them. Both are heavily stained and each has a significant crack. What do you think, keep or discard?

stracci, LauraGarnet02 and wlwhittier like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They certainly don't sell for much. If you want to play with the staining, sit it somewhere and fill it with hydrogen peroxide and let sit for 24 hours. Dump out and see if the color changed. A lot of the brown may leech out and turn the peroxide dark brown instead.
    Old transferware in good shape doesn't make much; they made too much of it. Damaged is "good luck with that" unless it's got an old staple repair. Stapled pieces can sell just for having the repair.

LauraGarnet02 and DonnaW like this.
  3. DonnaW

DonnaW Member

Thanks so much for the feedback! :)

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

One of the things I learned here is just because something is old doesn't mean that gives it value. If you like it, then by all means keep it around. It might have sentimental value or in some other way it appeals to you that is all good. Old stained and cracked plates might not be worth the space they take up though. Someone used them and loved them, but perhaps there time has passed.

5. DonnaW

DonnaW Member

Thank you Kiko, your feedback is very much appreciated...I may try to remove the stains and if that doesn't work...I'll put them back in the box. As I mentioned, just don't have the heart to toss out something that survived since the 1800's.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

As a last resort, dishwasher, I kid you not.

DonnaW and terry5732 like this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’ve never actually used the hydrogen peroxide method of reducing/erasing dirty hairline cracks. If I was going to try I would have used the brown bottle under my sink. However I heard from a longtime dealer/auctioneer that you need to use 35% industrial grade HP for it to really work. They said you can get it at beauty supply stores I believe.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
    DonnaW likes this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

A good way to give these a second life IMO is under potted plants to catch dirt and water. I’ve used damaged old plates for this after seeing it done at an estate sale I went to. It adds character to the whole thing.

Also to the collector market these may not be very desirable. Sometimes the novice/citizen market will be more accommodating. Like fb marketplace. To some people having anything from the 1800’s is really cool and exciting and if it’s affordable and pretty they might buy it, unaware that it’s not particularly rare.

DonnaW likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Beauty supply hydrogen peroxide will work better, faster, but if you're just messing around the cheap stuff you have handy will do fine.

DonnaW and J Dagger like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted