Featured Stained Glass Box in Shape of New York State

Discussion in 'Art' started by joe blowski, Aug 9, 2021.

1. joe blowski

joe blowski Active Member

Hi, purchased this at an auction. To me it looks to be in the shape of New York State (minus Long Island) but others at the auction disagreed! Anyway, it's assembled with copper foil with some detailing applied. The detail, in the shape of foliage that I believe to be brass or copper, is covered with a whitish film that may be old cleaner or natural patina.

SmallSignature-CarmesataParrish.jpg DetailForCleaningAdvice.jpg SmallTopView.jpg Interior1.jpg

The question is, how do I remove this film without damaging the detail. I'd like to bring it back to its original luster and preserve it. Could I use a brushing Shellac on the metal to prevent corrosion or do you have a better suggestion?

BTW, I looked up the artist Carmesata Parrish (?) but found no reference. Perhaps this is a project by a talented amateur?

LauraGarnet02, Bronwen and judy like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Brushing gently with an old toothbrush might help.

4. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

You really want to find out what the metal is before attacking it. I have a friend with a niton xl2 which is always quite helpful when dealing with jewelry, but we use it for other stuff as well.

If you can figure out the metal, you should be able to figure out what will safely clean it. You probably know this already, but just in case, always test a small area that is not easily seen before tackling a project JIC it stains or damages the metal.

I believe you are right, it looks like copper and if so, what you are seeing is most likely simply efflorescence of the copper and should come off without issue.

judy, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  5. joe blowski

joe blowski Active Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll try a few tests on the metal and hopefully post a picture of the cleaned up box

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted