Stained Glass Windows

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gamann, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Gamann

Gamann New Member

Hello All,

Newbie here. I have some questions about the attached stained glass windows (see link at bottom). I just recently acquired them and am curious 1) their age, 2) their origin, 3) their value as single pieces or as a set.

Here are some details:
    Each is about 7'x3'
    The wooden frames are 75-80% with minimal rot and erosion
    Only one has some cracking and warping, but 99% of the glass is there
    None have a visible signature or artist information
    I got them in the Houston Areaa

Any information you all can give is greatly appreciated!

Here is the link to the images. The files were too large so I just made a post here: https://imgur.com/a/WICqi

KingofThings likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Gamann, most folks here either can't or won't click on links. I've taken the liberty of cropping & resizing your photos & adding them here:

img0 (36).jpg img0 (37).jpg img0 (38).jpg

3. Gamann

Gamann New Member

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

You are most welcome, Gamann!

I wish I knew something about your windows, but I don't. If you give it a bit of time, I'm sure the "right" people will be by with info for you.

5. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

They appear to have a religous theme, so I'd say they came from an old church, maybe dating to the first part of the last century. it's hard to put a value on something like this. The religous look to them may limit their appeal somewhat.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  6. Gamann

Gamann New Member

I believe they do have religious meanings but do not know any of the symbolism. It is pretty though. Only other info I have is I found a work invoice stapled to the bottom of one of them dated 1980 for repairs done to them.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  7. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

It's difficult to make out the areas of the glass with people in them, the reflection off the glass is making it difficult to see the scenes as well, so I'm not sure what they are depecting either. Maybe if you take some pics of just those area's perhaps backlight to illuminate the scenes and reduce the glare.

BTW, the technique of painting on the glass, then heating it to set the color, is where the name "stained glass" came from, though it is used today to refer to pieces made up of colored glass fitted together with either lead came or copperfoil/solde, is not seen as much today. Church's used painted glass like this for centuries. The scenes illustrated stories from the Bible, and appealed to parishoners that could not read.

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    ~
    Please do this for all photos in your thread always. :)
    ~
    FULL IMAGE.jpg

9. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

They are lovely. I'm slightly green ...

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted