Stanford University Banner by Horstmann of PA - dating

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by scoutshouse, Jul 21, 2016.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

I'm researching this awesome Stanford banner/flag - I know Horstmann was in business in PA from 1815 to 1948, and Stanford came on the scene in 1855. Machine stitching/zig zag on the white-painted letters from around 1873 on... There's just a big gap in there...

The same couple (seniors) consigned a sophomore basketball uniform of their father's from USC, 1927. They're 3rd generation USC alums - she practically hissed when she saw the Stanford Banner!

Any info appreciated! (on the uniform, too - if you got it!)

2016-07-20 10.52.43.jpg

2016-07-20 11.02.57.jpg

2016-07-20 10.54.04.jpg

Uniform:
    JerseySized.jpeg

tyeldom3 and lauragarnet like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I can not help you with either item, but just wanted to say this would be a great time to list the banner if Stanford fans tailgate like they do here in Columbia. USC Gamecocks kick off the football season on Thursday night 9/1 (42 days & counting:p:D) against the Vanderbilt Commodores. Some of the fans here in Columbia would love to get their hands on a USC flag like this & it would most likely end up in one of the Cockabooses. ;):rolleyes::hilarious:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ersity-of-south-carolina-gamecocks-cockaboose

Peggy

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

USC. Pay you fees and get your Bs.

Debora

tyeldom3, SBSVC and scoutshouse like this.
  4. scoutshouse

As usual, a topic I'm not very familiar with, but the flag is from Stanford, so no good for Gamecocks :( but Stanford starts home games in August, so good to know! (Stanford's mascot it a tree - I guess they never came up with a "conventional" mascot - but that makes sense (Stanford:)))

The basketball jersey/set is from USC (University of Southern California).

Hoping someone knowing more about sports history memorabilia will wander along?

Thanks, Peggy!

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. scoutshouse

funny, debora :)

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. bercrystal

USC. Pay you fees and get your Bs.

Debora you are not a Clemson fan are you? :eek::eek::eek: ;):D:D:D

As usual, a topic I'm not very familiar with, but the flag is from Stanford, so no good for Gamecocks :( but Stanford starts home games in August, so good to know! (Stanford's mascot it a tree - I guess they never came up with a "conventional" mascot - but that makes sense (Stanford:)))

The tree is actually the band's mascot, but it appears at any function that the band plays. The football team is referred to unofficially as the Cardinals.

I was referring to a USC Gamecocks flag from this era of course.

Peggy

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

U.C.L.A.! Fight, Fight, Fight!

Debora

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. bercrystal

U.C.L.A.! Fight, Fight, Fight!

Oh, I get it now. You are referring to that other USC. ;):p:smug::smug::smug:
    I am glad to hear that you are not part of that group of orange & purple tigers from the upstate. :yuck::yuck::yuck:

Peggy

tyeldom3 likes this.
  9. scoutshouse

Sorry, ber - didn't mean to take you literally

My neices and nephs have all gone to Clemson :)

10. bercrystal

My neices and nephs have all gone to Clemson

Than they would understand totally. ;):p:D

I am sorry you haven't gotten any information on the banner or the uniform though. I think this is one of those things that you are going to have to decide the least amount of money you will take for them & list them with that starting bid. If you want to try a BIN maybe you could find a similar age piece from another school or you could do a reach for the stars price to see if anyone bites. JMHO

Peggy

11. scoutshouse

Thanks, Peggy - I agree, it's just such a great graphic and authentic "relic" of Stanford. Maybe wait till playoffs... It has some condition issues - mothholes, basically, but the grommets are still in great usable condition. I really wish we'd photographed in hanging from the owner's home - a great mini-mansion built in the 20s - but I doubt the owner would have allowed it :)

Horstmann American flags of a certain date and condition can be worth a lot, but I think the true value of it is team, all the way.

I tried on eBay, also - so far no replies.

Have a great Saturday, everyone!

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u 2 Scout !

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted