Steel bar side table - marble top - is this anything?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by aaroncab, Mar 14, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

This caught my eye at one of the thrifts I frequent - and I try not to post things for ID before I buy them, but wondering if it's worth the trip back tomorrow to see if it's still there. It's about 3 feet square. The frame is made up of steel bars welded together with twine/rope wrapped around them. Where and when might this be from?

40090804434_edfc3ffae1_kdev.jpg 40090804934_eb07c7bb23_kdev.jpg 40090801574_7e40c24aa6_kdev.jpg 40800511121_49fcf4f143_kdev.jpg 40800510571_3ea9ca0ef5_kdev.jpg 40800510451_d5cc2e5d21_kdev.jpg

2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Ima furniture dummy but I don’t think the design or construction are unique enough to nail down the origin. Looks like a usable utility table to me, gotta be worth $25. Or so, would be easy to de rust and paint or paint over the rust with Rustoleum, or leave as-is for “atmosphere.”

aaroncab likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think that's rather chic (although does look a bit rough.) I'd think 1960-1970ish. Others may disagree. If marble in good condition, might be a fun "rescue."

Debora

aaroncab likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I think the wire-wrapped multiple legs are an analogue for bamboo tables of similar size and shape.

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I like it.
    Is the top marble or travertine?

6. aaroncab

Could be either I guess... I'll have to look closer when I go back by there tomorrow.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. aaroncab

That's the impression I got too so I was wondering if it might be Japanese? But the marble top doesn't really fit Japanese I don't think...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if that's marble...then just the slab is worth a chunk o' change !

aaroncab likes this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think it might be a homemade base that someone whipped up for that slab.Or that slab came from another table,why else would it not cover those corners,wich lets face it,dont look so great being exposed? That being said,I like it and would snatch it up if cheap enough. Its got a great look.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It needs to be held in place - thus the fact that one of the bars is shorter than the others. It was born that way. ;)

Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and aaroncab like this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I see that now! Doh !

12. aaroncab

Yep that's correct - the corners of the slab fit into the recessed angle created by the shorter bar.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe it was nice shiny steel once upon a time and lost it's plate glass top????

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  14. aaroncab

Bought it this morning for 20$ ...will get it home and check it out more thoroughly tonight. It isn't really very rusty...mostly just has some rust colored red paint over an older layer of gold paint...over steel. I think the top is probably travertine rather than marble.

johnnycb09, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

still....$20.....good purchase !!!!:happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think probably a 90s import. Remember seeing such at the furniture markets around then. Agree that it is travertine. Good buy at $20.00.

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted