Stereoviews - Woman and Mother - Theater Actress? Opera?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Kronos, May 27, 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Have number of cards from a private issue/small run series featuring a woman and her mother. There is a wall shown with photos of both dressed up in different clothing/costumes. I think the woman might be an opera singer or stage actress. There is also a Victor Victrola featured in one picture. Was hoping someone might recognize either of the women. Time frame is probably 1905-1915ish. Thanks for looking.

wh3.jpg

wh.jpg wh2.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    scoutshouse and judy like this.
  2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Here's a little history on the Underwood & Underwood, Publishers of these stereo views. They were in business from 1882 until 1920 and were once the largest publishers of stereo views in the world:
    http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_stereo_p/0_stereoscopic_views_-_underwood_story.htm

Got a kick out of the company's locations, from cosmopolitan NYC and London to unsophisticated Kansas of that day.

I can't help you on the ID of the woman. No doubt someone will be around before the day is over with help. Fig, where are you!!!

--- Susan

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I am here, but looking on my phone and the multiple photos in one image are hard for me to manipulate enough to see well on this little screen.

I'll get on my computer in a little while and try again. Meanwhile, maybe somebody else can figure it out. :)

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Two of the photos in the background look familiar to me but no names are coming to mind. Since you know this was from a limited run series (or published by U&U for them privately) and you know that the two women are mother and daughter, am wondering whether you know anything else that could be useful? Do you have others from the series?

The two in the background that look familiar to me are the one on the left of the main three, with a woman with light-colored hair and bonnet -- and the one in the middle with the rather dramatic pose. The woman with light-colored hair has a familiar face. But the familiarity comes from a discussion in a Facebook photo collectors group from several months ago. Unfortunately, the search engine in FB groups, while it works well if one has very specific words, does not generally always find what it should. And I have no definite words to help jog my memory. The photo in the middle looks familiar itself, but I might also be thinking of similar poses.

So probably can't help with this.

scoutshouse and Kronos like this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Well, underwood/keystone photographers would do private sessions for people with money. There are no set numbers, no copyright info or dates, no titles, and no card back information, so I figure these are a limited run. There are a few other photos that just show the younger woman with a dog, and the older woman with what I figure is her husband (distant shot).

Figtree3 and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Geeee, the above sentence didn't register on reading it the other day that the photos on the wall are of the **same** 2 women until I just zoomed in on them hoping one of the faces would be familiar. Whoaaaa there, when I zoomed in, I see they are the same people. Hmmmm... a case of narcissism,

Love myself. Think I'm grand.
    When I go to the movies, I hold my hand.
    I put my arm around my waist.
    When I get fresh, I slap my face

One of the pic with the older white haired woman, has her wearing a bonnet type hat. That style was more of the 1860s and earlier. Soooo I suspect she was in costume meaning both women were in the entertainment field?

BTW, FWIW, I agree on a limited run because of the unprofessional cutting/sizing of the photos on the left side of the stereviews. The photos on the left (writing room) are too narrow for the stereo-view for a partial view of another is showing on its right. If these were meant to be professionally published for commercial consumption, they would have been better planned.

--- Susan

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

The vignette frames are lovely - makes it look like they're sitting in a mysterious alcove or bower.

I Have no ides who they might be... But nice :)

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What I find of greatest interest is the (bohemian) period domestic interior/exterior. In one photograph, she's posed as Lady Macbeth so must have been a professional leading actress in her time.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted