Featured Sterling ring marked Germany Import, what age is it and possible maker?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elen Beattie, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! This ring was another auction find. I have to say, it was the most tarnished silver ring I have ever cleaned-it was literally black! I couldn't even see the markings initially. Do you think is is a Deco design or perhaps a little earlier? Marcasite and onyx I think. Marked "Germany Imp." and "Sterling EN". Any feedback appreciated :) Image(26).jpeg Image(24).jpeg Image(23).jpeg Image(29).jpeg Image(28).jpeg Image(25).jpeg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It doesn't look old to me, beyond maybe 20 years or so.

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Thanks, so from 2000?! I would have thought older than that.

KSW likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The mark on the back makes me wonder, but it's post-Reunification at least.

Figtree3, KSW and Elen Beattie like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Or pre-partition.;)

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think older. A modern one would be more likely to have a common control mark.

Figtree3 and Elen Beattie like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I also think older, given the marks and the wear.

8. Elen Beattie

Thanks everyone for your input! I had thought a little older but I appreciate all feedback :). It was truly amazing how dirty and tarnished this little ring was :jawdrop:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I have had several pieces of jewellery that had old, dried porridge stuck in every nook and cranny. It made me think of old ladies that couldn't eat well anymore, but still enjoyed the beauty of their jewellery, and hopefully remembered the memories that went with each piece.
    Every piece comes with a history, and we are their guardians for a while.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  10. Elen Beattie

Couldn't agree more. The life an object has lived alongside it's owners is so interesting. The wear shows that they were loved :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Does "Germany Imp." mean it was imported into Germany, or that it was made in Germany and imported by another country? Seems like an odd mark, in a way.

12. Elen Beattie

It is an odd mark, I haven't been able to find a similar mark elsewhere yet. I had assumed imported from Germany.

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That sounds right. Now that I look at it again, the word "Germany" is in different lettering than "Imp." So probably stamped at a different time.

Elen Beattie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted