Featured Sterling ring with blue stone, purchased approx 1974, artisan? NA?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Not planning to sell this, but I've owned it for 45 years and realized I really don't know too much about it.

My aunt gave it to me in 1974. It used to fit my ring finger, now just fits my pinkie, and has been sitting in a jewelry box all these years.

My aunt had excellent taste, used to travel, lived in NYC, then Arizona where she would buy NA jewelry for herself. Ironically when she gave this to me it wasn't exactly "my thing" at age 14, but now see how nice it is, and just was curious what kind of stone, etc. Unsure if the markings on the back are going to be helpful, but you never know. The stone is dark blue, and there is a faint red line in it, curious what kind of stone it is. Thanks for taking a look.

bring6.jpg bring3.jpg bead.jpg bring2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I can't help you identify but wanted to say... That's a very nice piece. High drama.

Debora

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Except for that red line, it looks very much like sodalite, a popular stone with craft jewellers in the 70s. It does not look NA to me.

4. Lucille.b

Thank you Debora and Bronwen. Could easily have been from an artisan show, or store. My aunt never mentioned NA, but she gave me some other NA pieces back then, so thought I'd rule that out. Signature on the back is impossible. I'll look up Sodalite. Thanks.

i need help, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It doesn't really look like it is says Sterling. Is that a "W" in front of the "LING"
    Maybe a quick polish will make other marks show.
    upload_2020-6-26_21-54-47.png

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It could be a sterling mark,someone tapping the stamp 4+ times and the stamp being angled or a curved inside ring stamp used.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice ring, Lucille. It isn't recognizably NA, but it has that Art Deco look that some NA jewellery has. It is post-Art Deco though, was it new when you got it?
    The mark looks like a sterling mark to me.
    The stone could be azurite with a copper vein, or azurite with a gossan/eisenhut vein (like rust):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossan

8. Lucille.b

Thank you Cluttered, Holly and AJ.

Yes, new when I got it. So 1974 plus or minus.

Maybe it is "Sterling", then the little double horseshoe-like stamp from the maker possibly. I'll try polishing a bit, too.

I'll look up azurite. Thanks for the link. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted