Featured Sterling silver peridot pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Tricia Harr, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

2019-03-11-18-09-19.jpg 2019-03-11-18-10-59.jpg any ideas if this pendant is older? stamped 925.. 10.5 grams

KSW, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Indonesia or possibly Bali. Relatively recent, but very nice, I'd have grabbed it.

KSW, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  3. Tricia Harr

would you say it's a flower ?

KSW, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

More like a palm leaf or something similar. It's shaped like a leaf carving on a piece of furniture, at least to me.

5. Tricia Harr

do you think it's a peridot?

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@Tricia Harr

You would need to look at the center stone with a loupe,in the photos it looks like there are many bubbles.

7. Tricia Harr

Those bubbles might be water, I had just washed it.. but I'll look better tomorrow ..
    ty

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Made in Jaipur, Rajasthan, NW India, the city of jewels. (No, I don't get paid to say that last bit. ;))
    I have a couple of these Jaipur pieces, and they all test as real gemstones, in this case most likely peridot. Pretty recent, but also very pretty.
    The design could be called floral, but it is just one of those classic ways of mounting a bunch of nice gemstones. Much like many rings, pendants and brooches have been made in the West for centuries.
    The designs rarely have a special significance, other than showing off. The Jaipur silversmiths probably started making them as a simplified version of traditional Kundan jewellery.
    Occasionally they make them into specific designs, like a sterling and peridot dragonfly pendant I have.

Rajasthani Kundan jewellery:
    [​IMG]
    Bali is one of the Indonesian islands.:)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    judy, Kimbert and kyratango like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fair point on the geography. Brain fart.

What leads you to Jaipur on this? I've a friend who goes on buying trips to Indonesia, and brings back very similar.

No reason it can't be peridot, those cabs aren't expensive.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I ordered them from Jaipur years ago. This pendant looks to be from the same period, judging from the wear. Jaipur is extremely prolific, their pieces of this type are cheap and cheerful, and are sold in tourist areas all over Asia.
    Balinese are commissioned to copy styles, but even then their jewellery is slightly different, and if cluster set, the backs are different.

I have heard that many Western jewellery 'designers' are now moving out of Bali and having their jewellery made by cheaper Rajasthani manufacturers.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted