Featured Sterling Silver Swan

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Reeves, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

How old would you say this swan is and do you think this is Russian?. At first glance when I saw it and picked it up I thought it was Cloisonne, but after I got home I realized its Enamel on Sterling Silver. I really don't know the purity of it, so it might not be sterling, but i do know it is Silver.
    8.5" (H) to top of head
    10" (L)
    5" (H)
    IMG_0590_opt.jpg IMG_0588_opt.jpg IMG_0591_opt.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Can you get a close up please? It might equally be Chinese, there's some lovely enamel work from there.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, but we definitely need close ups. Are the eyes inlaid with turquoise? Without seeing the details I think maybe Persian.

4. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

Ok I'm going to upload some better photos, my computer doesn't want to work right might take me a few minutes

i need help, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

6. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

Here's some closeups, there's some brown residue in certain spots. I think thats from the silver polish that the previous owner applied.

i need help, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

I cant really tell if the eyes is turquoise, i think its just enameled. I took a closeup of the eyes so you could see

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I think it is Chinese, and the eyes are turquoise or imitation turquoise. Lovely piece.
    There is a similarity between cloisonné in a wide geographic band from Russia through to China because of the Silk Road. Which means your swan could also be Central Asian.
    A lot of older cloisonné attributed to China was actually made in Uzbekistan, which was part of Russia and the USSR for a while.

9. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

Wow that's really informative, and I really appreciate your feedback.

10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy.

judy and i need help like this.
  11. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

I Just noticed the swan is marked on the inside, its stamped and its small. i hope i can get a good photo of it so i can upload it to the site.

komokwa, judy, i need help and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

13. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

I took about 10 photos of this mark and this is the best one i could come up with. hopefuly some one might recognize it

IMG_0602_opt.jpg

14. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

To take clear, close-up macro-shots, try putting a magnifying glass in front of the camera-lens while focusing. That helps a lot. Especially with marks in hard-to-reach places.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I did some monkeying around with the image, still cant make heads or tails though.:cigar::cigar::cigar:

IMG_0602_opt[1].jpg

judy likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Any Jewelry , I must divert this thread slightly and bump it to the top. I was in the city of Chicago early this week and visited the Art Institute of Chicago. We saw this exhibit, called
    "Ornamental Traditions: Jewelry from Bukhara."
    http://www.artic.edu/exhibition/ornamental-traditions-jewelry-bukhara

Bukhara is in Uzbekistan. Unfortunately the photos in their slide show are rather small. These were very very beautiful! And apparently everything belongs to one married couple who are planning to donate the items to the museum.

Update: here is a Twitter post from the museum that shows the photos a bit larger. And you don't have to be signed in to Twitter to see them.
    https://twitter.com/artinstitutechi/status/1019326399306444800

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Wonderful, Fig. Thank you for remembering what I wrote, and for posting this. I love Uzbek cloisonné.

judy likes this.
  18. Figtree3

I added a Twitter link, too.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Someone wants the exhibition sent to the Netherlands.;)
    I became interested in Uzbek arts when I was researching one of my ancestors, an Islamic scholar called Ibrahim Assamarkandy (Al Samarkandi), whose family lived in Uzbekistan for several generations. I can just imagine the world they lived in.

Figtree3, BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  20. Figtree3

If they don't send it, maybe you could go to Chicago?

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted