Stiffel? Lamp Information/Help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chuck7817, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Chuck7817

Chuck7817 New Member

I've attached a few pics of a pair of lamps that we found inside our grandmother's barn after her passing this summer and hoping someone might be able to help identify them, please? One of my aunts told us that she remembers these lamps being on end tables inside our grandma's home back in the 1950's when she lived in California, however she doesn't know when or where she had originally got them.

I've searched online over past several months and can't find them anywhere but the closest thing I was able to find (similar style, painted brass albeit not same green color but with similar look) points me in the direction of them being Stiffel table lamps...? The milk glass diffuser/globe (whatever they're called) at top of lamps throws me off as well. Dimensions of each lamp are 35-1/4" tall from bottom of based to top of milk glass globe. Base is 7-1/4" wide

After finding them when cleaning out her barn, these lamps spoke to me for some reason and were the only items that I wanted from my grandmother's estate. I'd love to know if anyone knows what I have here, the maker, age, history, value? Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you and Happy Holidays everyone.
    IMG_5195_rs640.jpg IMG_5200_r640.jpg IMG_5199_rs640.jpg IMG_5198_rs640.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They are lovely...& in great condition....& the ceiling washer shades are very nice....but ya...they don't look like they go together.....

Christmasjoy and Chuck7817 like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If they Stiffel they should be marked somewhere at least on the switches. Remember there are a lot of brass lamps that are NOT Stiffel. The notches in the glass part are for holding a shade in place. I am afraid if there are mo marking somewhere they are not Stiffel.
    greg

Bakersgma and Chuck7817 like this.
  4. Chuck7817

Chuck7817 New Member

Thank you "komokwa" for your compliments. Regarding the ceiling washer shades (I assume you are referring to the milk glass things at top of lamps?) Determining for sure if they are original to the lamps isn't something I had even considered but will say that they were on the lamps when we found the lamps in the barn this past summer and they are one of the distinct features my aunt remembers about the lamps from when she was growing up at grandmas original house in the 1950's. Thank you again.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

well, those are some of the nicest shades i've seen....and the more i look at them the more i get used to the look...
    I notice the way they are clear at the bottom would indeed throw light downward as well as straight up...

Christmasjoy, Chuck7817 and sabre123 like this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

My mother has 3 Rembrandt lamps from the late 60s/early 70s with that notched glass - they hold the shade. I outta know I've changed bulbs in them often enough.

This pic will give you an idea of the straight wire on the shade that 'nestles' down inside the notches. My mother's shades are very plain, but the same idea. shade.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  7. wiscbirddog

The glass 'shades' are original to the lamps, but they aren't meant to be seen. They would just hold the real shade in place.

Chuck7817 likes this.
  8. wiscbirddog

My mother's shades are more like this:

shade.jpg

Chuck7817 and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. komokwa

I ummm.... I really don't see that.:wacky:
    That shade has a hole in the center for a screw finial .....and just placing the shade on the glass...while it may sit there......one bump....& it's toast !!

More of an observation than a comment....& I'm not saying your Mom didn't use the wire shade like that...only that I don't see that as the way it was fashioned to be used......:sorry::sorry::sorry:

EDIT...
    OK...so now I see the shade you're really talking about......but still, I'd need to see the wires to change my opinion...

Christmasjoy, Chuck7817 and sabre123 like this.
  10. wiscbirddog

Komo - you've seen the round glass diffusers that support a cloth shade, where the wire cross pieces in the lamp shade are bent to sit on the smooth edge of the diffuser? Well, the Rembrandt lamps came with the notched edge in the diffuser for straight wires on the shade to sit into. No center finial hole for the original shades. It is a PITA the find replacement shades for those lamps - you keep trying various shades until you discover ones that have the wire positioned good enough to fit. Actually the notches do a good job once you find the 'right' fitting shade.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Chuck7817, komokwa and sabre123 like this.
  11. Chuck7817

Chuck7817 New Member

Hi Greg, Thank you for that information. I should have mentioned earlier that the because of the angle of the switches when I took the pics, the switch that turns lamp on is on the top edge of the lamp base. The lamps feel very "base heavy" and each lamp weighs 9lbs. 12oz. I have looked everywhere on these lamps for mfg name/markings and even unscrewed the (heavy iron/steel?) weight disk that is screwed onto the center threaded rod on bottom of lamp to look for any markings, none of which can be found. So... because I am unable to locate any type of Stiffel specific markings it looks like they aren't Stiffel made lamps, but still hopeful someone recognizes these lamps and might be able to provide me with any additional info and history on them. Again, Thank You Greg and hope you and yours have a safe and enjoyable holiday season.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

wire cross pieces in the lamp shade are bent....
    yes...those I've seen.......& they would sit tight !!!!:):)

wiscbirddog likes this.
  13. Chuck7817

Chuck7817 New Member

Hi wiscbirddog, Your info on the notched glass makes total sense to me now. I have seen alot of vintage table lamps that had the exact same notched milk glass shade holders but never saw one of them with the shades accompanying or shown with any of the lamps I have seen. Before your comments, I thought that these were complete with just the milk glass piece but know that's not the case now. I just got off the phone with my Aunt and relayed this info in the hopes that it might jog a memory for her and now it's got her wondering why my Grandmother only displayed/used them with the glass pieces. She even commented that there were no extra lamp shades found anywhere when the estate was being inventoried. Anyway, thank you again as your info and others is getting me closer to the history behind these lamps. Appreciate cha.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and wiscbirddog like this.
  14. wiscbirddog

Here's a pair of Rembrandt table lamps with shades. Note: no finial and the diffuser looks exactly like yours Chuck. They even have green highlights similar to yours.

I'm guessing they might be Rembrandt brand but older than my mother's. Her's have been very prone to corrosion over the years despite being treated kindly. Yours are in very good condition, especially for being stored in a barn!

verybrad and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

16. wiscbirddog

17. komokwa

nice find.......same reflectors ...chucks are nicer...

Chuck7817 likes this.
  18. wiscbirddog

I like Chuck's better than my mother's too. Pretty sure they are at least a decade older than hers.

Chuck7817 likes this.
  19. Chuck7817

Chuck7817 New Member

Update: Thanks to both wiscbirddog and komokwa for your expertise and help! The information you provided gave me a new direction to go in to try and narrow down more details on my lamps. With your Rembrandt identification, I was able to locate a listing that is an exact match for my lamps. Much appreciated!

https://www.chairish.com/product/346787/rembrandt-olive-regency-table-lamp

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  20. komokwa

Nice find Chuck !!
    You'll notice the price discount.....so take even that price with a grain.....or two...of salt !!:happy::happy:

Happy New Year !!!

Chuck7817 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted