Stone or wood or??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ashley Felton, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

Was told petrified wood then stone. Thoughts? 15A2E231-6B0F-4264-B686-16FE3C925B28.jpeg 74050235-19BF-4BAF-894B-4DD219632CA2.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Petrified wood is stone, "petrified" comes from a Latin term meaning "turned to stone."

But this doesn't look like petrified wood, to me, but more like a slice of a geode.

Better wait, though, for someone who specializes in that area. My experience comes mainly through a brother-in-law rock hound/collector/jewelry guy.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To me it looks hard to tell from that view.....looks more like a ceramic creation around the edges in particular, but maybe my eyes just aren't adjusting to the perspective!!

PortableTreasures and judy like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Maybe ask on a gem and stone ID site if no one on here knows?. I’m on one on FB that I use from time to time on the rare occasions I draw a blank here :)

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The answer was in post #2.

7. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

Thanks again all!!!

8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'd agree, slice from a geode; so the stone would be agate. During the formation of such things, the agate material is laid down in layers within a hollow in the rock, and often in geode slices one can see the layers, as with OP's example.
    I'd go further, and note the outer brown stone visible on one outer edge; this would pretty much confirm the ID as being from the type of geode often called a "thunder-egg."

Similar to
    thundereqg0.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted