Featured Stoned Bare naked Bear (click bate :) )

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mmarco102, Nov 26, 2020.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:, sorry for the title, just couldn’t resist. Well, Good morning all and Happy Thanksgiving, to all that celebrate.

***not sure which forum this falls under as it is not ceramic or porcelain, metalware or antique(to the best of my knowledge). Admin please move if in wrong forum.

Love my new friend, coming in at @ hefty 17.5 lbs, wow, and about the size of a football(American) 11”X7”. This is a keeper for me as I just couldn't part with the fella. I really would like to know anything I can as to type of stone, possible origin, native? etc etc etc... highly polished cold to the touch. Cant not find one similar, yes a few stone bears out there but none looking even close to him/her(I haven’t looked ;)). Front left paw is slightly raised off the ground and has an excessive amount of scratches underneath or possibly signature, just looks gibberish to me.

thanks all for looking.

58E50F24-73C7-4375-B8BC-8DDFAD913016.jpeg 7F27A1B1-A2E7-42F4-BA2A-1E8424257E7E.jpeg 6497CBF7-BAC4-4E5F-80A5-D08D1FE7E499.jpeg B8350115-527C-4E3A-A42D-C7DB99A2E821.jpeg EC34DFF4-0E43-4FF2-9808-FF27F3CE349F.jpeg CD3F9B6F-30E8-4FBA-9ED8-D64386AF9CFE.jpeg E2990099-3736-4510-9EBC-83D93361475C.jpeg 1366D518-0477-4BE1-8572-3E7664F6F079.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    aaroncab, judy, Potteryplease and 7 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect Alaskan First Nations.

all_fakes, judy, Mugzinnys and 5 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

[Edit: read too quickly; see you knew this. 'Tribal' is where these things usually go.] This is stone, not ceramic. Looks rather like basalt to me, but think there will be other, better informed opinions on that. @komokwa @Taupou

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    aaroncab, judy, mmarco102 and 2 others like this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Not really my area, but I am familiar with the Chinese imported stone fetish carvings that have flooded the Southwest market recently. And there's something about the way the eyes are done here that would make me suspicious.

I don't know if the Chinese have been making fake First Nations carvings, as well. But komokwa would probably know.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I do , but I'm not sayin...so I'll reach out to @Mark London ..........

he'll say it better !

judy and mmarco102 like this.
  6. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Either Alaskan or Chinese meant for the Alaskan souvenir market.

aaroncab, judy, Potteryplease and 2 others like this.
  7. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

As always I appreciate everyone’s knowledge. Just curious, how profitable making 17lbs souvenirs can be with shipping and all, and why there are none to be found online elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I respect and agree with information, just curious. Bought at auction for $1 so didn’t think for a second it was a lost treasure. Just a friend to hang out in my office. :cool:

judy likes this.
  8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I don't know so much about bears; but the Chinese have indeed been making fake First Nation totem pole carvings; copied from Haida argillite totempoles... two recently seen on ebay were identifiable because they used a mottled black stone, while argillite is pure black; and by stylistic details of course.
    Highly profitable, because argillite carvings sell for around $100 per inch, and up.

Any Jewelry, mmarco102 and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

while argillite is pure black........ummmmmmmmmmmmm... not always...:p

older carvings were sometimes shoe polished..to get that jet black shiny color...
    ( personal conversation with Haida carver..)

side note...I've had Donovan Gates carvings with while and orange lines running thru them..

all_fakes and mmarco102 like this.
  10. all_fakes

Sure....but not uniformly mottled with white like the Chinese carvings I was thinking of. They've also found a nice uniform black stone that looks a whole lot like argillite, so appearance of the stone, alone, is not much of a guide.... style though, is harder to fake. But really experience is the best guide of course.
    ( I've had a nice conversation with Christian White, describing in detail the climb up to the argillite beds, and coming back down with a 40-pound pack of rock on one's back - one can see why it is a fairly rare material)

komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

Cool !!!!
    Only the Haida are allowed on Slatechuck Mountain..

12. all_fakes

Oh yes. It is apparently a perilous hike. Sometimes the older carvers will pay/bribe/trade with younger ones to carry the packs of rock.
    This is one of the carvings I was thinking of; years back I had a semi-friendly discussion with one of the importers of Indonesian NW Coast style wood carvings; he was kind of proud of his ability to bring low-priced "replicas" to consumers, and said with some pride that he'd found a Chinese source for argillite-like stone carvings. :arghh: I would not mistake this stone for argillite.
    on eboo at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-To...504869?hash=item1cfae6a925:g:QloAAOSwYkxfhy3M

s-l1600.jpg s-l1601.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

what a mess.......that's very sad !!!!

all_fakes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted