Storage Unit Candy dishes

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brandon Loubier, Jun 18, 2019.

1. I have bidded on a lost storage unit. Inside were these pretty candy dishes. Can anyone give me any information on them? These are the only pictures i have. Can you guys please email me at EMAIL REMOVED because the file size is to big for this website.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Brandon. We strongly suggest that you edit your post to remove your email address. You're leaving yourself open to lots of spam and other annoyances.

5. Here is the picture guys

Attached Files:

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Brandon!

Welcome to Antiquers!

They look identical.

If they are, choose just one and take better photos. One of the base, (looks like silverplate) and one of the whole piece, side view, and one from the top.

Of course, now that I suggested the above, I now see that these are the only photos you have.

They don't appear to be antique, but please wait for the glass experts to arrive. I'm thinking the 60's or later, but that's a guess.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Brandon and welcome - There is a style that some people call Hollywood Regency. It was a mid-century trend that featured items like those you show. The tops (when marked) usually have a label indicating the glass was made in Western Germany. The base is a pot metal with a bronze finish. You can find these in candlesticks, large stemmed compotes, and candy dishes like yours. I have heard that some furniture stores around the 1960's gave these away as premiums if you bought a suite of furniture. They don't have great value but there are folks who look for this style. Hope this helps. Please note I'm basing my answer just on this one picture and may have to revise my answer if better pictures become available.
    Don

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9. clutteredcloset49

Agree with everything Don said.

I would say late 60s. Definitely 1970s.

The damage shows the pot metal and diminishes any value on the one candy dish.
    upload_2019-6-19_17-42-31.png

10. Could I atleast sell it for 5 bucks? Couldnt I always take the dish out of the metal? Cause who wants a broken stand?

i need help likes this.
  11. Here are my pics. Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

i need help likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

Highly doubt it.
    The bowl most likely has a hole in the bottom with a metal "screw" to the base.
    upload_2019-6-20_8-33-51.png

Where and how are you selling?
    In a space? online? your own store?

13. Do you possibly know what the one without any damage could be worth?

i need help likes this.
  14. I am selling them on facebook.

i need help likes this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

I'm not on Facebook, so don't know how to advise you in terms of pricing. Sorry.

Check back, maybe one of the others will be able to offer advice.

judy and i need help like this.
  16. Lets not consider facebook as an affecting factor. Could i sell this piece for $90? Im Pretty sure these are rare.

i need help likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

$90 is way too much, wherever you sell it. Where I am I would be lucky to get $10-15 for one, but I have no idea of prices on Facebook.
    These aren't rare, btw, besides, rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable. Rare can also mean there aren't many out there because back in the day people preferred something else.;)
    Rare is valuable when many people want something and there is just one or a few of that something, and they are willing to pay a high price.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    i need help and judy like this.
  18. clutteredcloset49

These are not rare.
    These are 1970s items.
    As mentioned the glass was most likely made in Western Germany. They could have been assembled here in the US or possibly Italy.
    A lot of this was sold through discount stores like Gemco, White Front, and also furniture stores.
    $10 -20 for the good one depending on where you are. Next to nothing for the damaged one. I'd sell as a pair. Being sure to fully disclose the damage on the one.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted