Featured Strange Crocodiles ornaments, what are they made of?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Simona Buhus, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I found myself buying the below ornaments just because when I touched them, it did not feel like anything I have touched before. They are very shiny, they don’t feel like wood, nor like plastic or like shell. They smell a bit strange, I am thinking maybe are made of horns or any other organic material. What is your opinion?
    How are they so shiny, these are not like any horn I have seen before lol.
    I am new to all of this, am exploring at the moment materials, shapes etc. , still learning.
    Any suggestions of material, age and provenance would do for researching further.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    2DEB474E-2472-48F9-8349-38CADE0C84DF.jpeg 856B10B0-1073-45A1-8B79-14C818E83C6D.jpeg 24A87D38-E837-416D-AE79-70486539C519.jpeg 3B544CD0-382D-4B70-82ED-370A3D90B372.jpeg 5358C949-C620-4889-8DA3-966FFD0C457E.jpeg 5358C949-C620-4889-8DA3-966FFD0C457E.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are horn, and very cute. Those lighter spots occur on some horns.
    Maybe zebu horn, and maybe India or Sri Lanka.

3. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Started to read about zebu and horns, I now understand how they were carved and can see the structure. The feel of them is something different, just to show how diverse and wonderful is God creation.
    Am going to do some more reading on them, if there any links you could share and think could be useful for beginners knowledge, would be great.
    One thing I have omitted to mention is that when I bought them one of them had some dead insects nest inside the mouth, in my head I thought they should be at least vintage lol.
    I have cleaned them before taking the photos, and the “vintage” is gone with it lol.
    Thank you again.
    Xx

4. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Thank you!

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

certain insects will eat thru horn....

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I just learned something new again today. Horns.. wow never knew this.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You just lowered the value!:arghh::joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted