Featured Strange hunting scene rug

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Nov 6, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I cannot find this type of rug online. Anybody know age, origin, value etc. please asap. I'm going to swap meet tomorrow and there are a few rug buyers that come from Los Angeles, Palm Springs etc. I don't want to get ripped off.

Thank You

Billy D. 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting rug. Too bad about the damage and unraveling.

The design is very similar to those in Mughal hunting paintings (often misidentified as Hindu Indian, but actually Persian.) Let me check to see if that spelling is correct.

It is correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughal_Empire

3. billyd3us

Very nice find, do you know about how old it is ?

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sorry, that I do not know.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BUT, give it a bit, Billy, others should be along......love the pattern/design in your rug!!!

@Any Jewelry ??

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I would recommend you hold on to this until you know more, if you are concerned about selling it too cheap.

Houseful, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Not a rug I'm familiar with...but Mughal Hunting Rug...hand made....maybe silk???
    I dunno...but the back looks very well defined.....& the hunting scene is a very old design for these rugs....
    so....I'm with 2MB.....hold it ...for now.

judy and i need help like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, Billy. 2many nailed it, a classic Tabriz hunting rug.
    When you find a rug with many people on it, and every little scene tells a story, there is a good chance it is Tabriz.
    The Tabriz area also produces other types of rugs, mostly floral, but always very detailed. Some rugs are inspired by Persian poetry. The many scenes on the rug convey the story and message of the poem.
    That is right, Tabriz rugs are often inspired by the painted miniatures from Persian books.
    The style was also introduced in Indo-Persian or Mughal India, which included present-day Pakistan, and in other Persian influenced regions like Afghanistan.
    Persian influenced hunting rugs are still made in Kashmir, NW India, and in Afghanistan. Maybe elsewhere as well, but I only know of these two.
    The depictions on the rugs from these regions tend to have slightly more refinement. Another difference is the dress. Indo-Persian men generally wore longer coats than Persian men. If you find women in pictures, the Indo-Persian woman's dress was close to northern Indian dress, whereas Persian women wore a more Middle Eastern type dress.
    I agree, it looks earlier. But there is also a little damage, which influences the value.

11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I agree, kicked myself for not knowing enough before selling.

12. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Billy, I know you are not interested in repairing the rug. It is intensive and time consuming. I have repaired many oriental rugs and the charges are based on a per inch. Finding the proper materials can be a challenge especially for silk rugs.

Lightly brush it and offer as is. If someone loves it, they will get it repaired.
    Patd

judy, Houseful, all_fakes and 3 others like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

So, Billy -- what happened? Did you take it to the swap meet, or not? If you did take it, how did it go?

14. billyd3us

No I didn’t take

i need help, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you were wise not to take it.

komokwa, i need help and judy like this.
  16. billyd3us

Your welcome, yes Thanks to this site and it's members who told me to hold onto it.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  17. billyd3us

Okay Pat, will do. Thank You

18. billyd3us

What a bummer, I have done the same in the past and sometimes still

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted