Featured Strange Kitemark - Seeking ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bob W, Apr 6, 2024.

1. Bob W

Bob W Member

Hi all - I am considering buying some porcelain plates and am trying to identify the maker. There is a strange hand painted kitemark on the back along with some writing I can't decipher. The seller is listing the plates as English but I don't think this is the case. Grateful for any feedback you can provide as it is a real puzzler.
    Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 11.18.53 AM.png Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 11.18.27 AM.png Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 11.22.16 AM.png

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Hmm the last "word" is N 2962 so the other two might also be abbreviated English words?

Bob W likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From what I've learned here, isn't the 'kite' an English registration mark, with the notations in each partitioned section meaningful when you look where our ceramics people know to look?

johnnycb09, mirana and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Strange, the writing is hard to read but sort of looks like ces or les dep -- possibly French for deposeé. Could be a stretch, but the writing looks Continental. Persian influenced design 1875 onwards?

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

An abbreviation for dessin deposee then no or number 20162. Design registered in English.

A French maker took the trouble to register the design in the U.K., then hand inscribed the registry diamond. I’ve seen similar, mostly on jewellery.

7. Bob W

Bob W Member

I agree that the last part looks like a pattern number. I don't think they are English words - possibly French?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    johnnycb09, mirana and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bob W

Bob W Member

It looks like an English kitemark but the details don't quite match up. I think it is a possible fantasy mark made to look like an English kitemark.

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I think obb hit the nail on the head!

johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bob W

Bob W Member

The kitemark lacks the proper format - perhaps it was a mistake due to English being a second/unfamiliar language.

johnnycb09, mirana and Bronwen like this.
  11. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Paris Porcelain makers Samson et al were known to produce imitative wares - did that extend to fantasy marks too?

johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Merci beaucoup!

I’ve seen imitation registry diamonds, but they’re usually way more fake than this. I’d think the transcription was a bit off. Foreign companies could and did register designs here. The other option is a foreign company who’d paid to use a design registered by a British one and were acknowledging that.

johnnycb09, Bob W and KylieS like this.
  13. Bob W

Bob W Member

I checked the Samson marks and did not see one that resembles the kitemark. I'm not sure about Paris Porcelain and will check out the possibility.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  14. Bob W

Bob W Member

I appreciate your input and have found it very helpful. Operating in another language is no easy feat and any mistakes the painter made when transcribing the kitemark are completely understandable.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Even in another language, they would have been able to copy the correct shape.

Bob W likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted