Featured Strange marble - or what is it?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If no one here recognizes this, I'll go to landofmarbles.com. I don't want to start there and have them say it's not a real marble. It has a strange surface - not smooth. There are small bumps of colored stuff inside. The swirl is a coppery color and actually shines copper in the light. It was in with a bunch of old marbles so I don't know if it's one of those decorative ones you put in the bottom of vases or if it's a genuine marble. Has me stumped.

IMG_2824 (800x666).jpg IMG_2825 (800x662).jpg IMG_2827 (705x800).jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

'End of day marble'?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I have a lot of marbles (haven't lost them all, yet!) and never saw one with all these bumpy bits on the exterior.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does it look like it might have been in a fire?

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

No. I think it would be damaged. These occlusions (right word?) go right into the glass, not just on the surface. It almost looks like when it was made, it was rolled around in sand or something before it hardened

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Found my loupe. Not sand, but copper flecks. The swirls look glittery like pyrite under the loupe. It's late and I'm tired so I think I'm obsessing needlessly. Tossing it into the mason jar of odd marbles. Doesn't everyone have a jar of misc. marbles? IMG_2828 (800x600).jpg

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bev,
    I use my old Colonial Candle glass containers for storing old marbles etc.
    greg

8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Could it be one of those old bottle caps, I don't know what they are called but they had a metal contraption that clamped onto the bottle and a glass ball inside the metal that covered the opening of the bottle and made it leakproof ? Joy.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

Can't imagine this one would seal at all unless there's a perfect radius on it somewhere...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Christmasjoy

I thought the glass ball had a rubber ring attatched around the glass ball to seal it .. mind you I am going back to my childhood when my father bought himself bottles of "Bing" soda pop in England and us kids would pop the contraption and take sneaky swigs from the bottle ... never mind .. I'm rambling now :( Joy.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

You're thinking of a Codd bottle. :)

12. KingofThings

I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

13. Christmasjoy

Oh Thank You Calico .. us kids just called it "the stopper" HaHa .. Those metal things were hard to flip open, one had to hold the bottle still so that the contents didn't fizz out .. my brother was the one to call on as we went about our sneaky theft of my Fathers stash .. he got first swig though, one swig each from the eldest to the youngest .. there were 5 of us. Joy.

gen belli, SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The real Codd bottles only had the marble against the rubber ring in the opening. There was a ledge to keep the marble from moving to close off the top. There were No metal caps, they were something else. I had at least 2 dozen Codd bottles in my collecting day, two were never opened but sealed with a waxy clay substance. The marbles were scratched but never bumpy.
    greg.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. UserUnknown

UserUnknown Active Member

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/art-glass/marbles

Excerpt from article:
    "Lutz marbles are also sought-after by collectors for their beautiful swirls of goldstone decoration. Goldstone, glass made with copper crystals, was first discovered in Venice in the 1600s, but marbles using the material weren’t produced until the early 1900s, just before World War I."

I don't know that is what it is, but looks like an interesting place to start.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Charliebfc

Charliebfc Well-Known Member

Codd bottles have marbles inside them and they was pinched glass download.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  17. Charliebfc

Charliebfc Well-Known Member

18. Vern

Vern Active Member

It almost looks like natural stone and reminds me of some of the copper and gold ore you see around here...

KingofThings likes this.
  19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Ooooh! Sparkles. I was going to start selling marbles, but decided I liked them. Now I think I want some of those.

Draft saved Draft deleted