Featured Strange mark on Victorian locket/book chain parure.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kyratango, May 23, 2018.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It oxidizes, but should last at least a year. I guess the acids are like the materials they test, silver oxidizes too, gold and platinum don't. I don't know how long the acids for gold and platinum last though, I have had mine for years and they are still ok.

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Gold acids last just about forever; the silver goes bad ASAP. That's why most of us use 18k acid to test silver.

judy, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Good to know, thanks!:joyful:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

That and scraping on a black touchstone makes it impossible to see the silver acid's results!

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If you're using the 18k, the test on the black touch stone is unmistakable. The silver scrape curdles up and turns white. I don't test on the item itself unless I'm scapping it or extremely dubious.

judy and kyratango like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve got a couple of lovely pieces completely ruined by someone chucking acid across the front- not even discreetly on the back- makes me so cross that they care so little about the item, only if they can get scrap value for it .
    I’m quite confused about the gold testing as
    I have two lots of gold acid, one 9k and one 18k but the 18k doesn’t seem to do anything to any metal. I was wondering if it was a bad lot now you’ve said this rather than user error.
    I need to watch a good YouTube video on using the touch Stone

7. kyratango

The touch stone is the way to test without significant damage:)
    Rubbing an edge hard enough to reach metal under plating will leave a good trace on the stone on which the applied acid will say what alloy.
    I can't understand why people think dropping the acid directly on the piece is a better method:bucktooth: (except for damaging it:mad:)

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Exactly!:rage::punch:

judy and kyratango like this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yes and yes! And can we talk about a tester filing across the front of a piece when testing???

Any Jewelry, judy and kyratango like this.
  10. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

omg I'm obssesed with this kyratango! a silver locket on a book chain is one of my dream "things to own" - just beautiful!! and they tend to be SO expensive! that you got the whole parure for the price you did is a win!!

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It's just vandalism!. If it's not gold that they can scrap they don't care

12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

That set is stunning, congratulations! And I learned about 18k acid testing silver!

13. kyratango

:arghh:
    We can say even worst!!!:facepalm::arghh:

:joyful: @Kimbert, it was on my « want it now » dream list since a long time... the big plus is the original presentation case (collecting too old ones!) :)
    But, these spring rings, not attached at one end of the chain, are a PAIN to clasp and UNCLASP...

ABSOLUTELY:vomit::rage:

Thanks Marko :joyful: I’m glad I learned this trick too:)

Any Jewelry, judy and komokwa like this.
  14. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

Woohoo that's so awesome to find something on your dream list!! That's so cool that it came in the case and everything!
    That sounds really annoying about the clasp though! Worth it though, I'm sure!

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  15. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

That set is outstanding.

I used to sell my scrap silver to a guy who bought tons of it. He taught me the 18K acid test described here, and also taught me that to really confirm silver, a second test could be used. That test is to rub an edge fairly hard on the testing stone, hard enough to get through any plating, and then dip the edge in a drop of 14K acid. If it turns a grayish color that can be polished back to silver, it is silver. If it is not silver, you can look under a loupe and see it bubbling, and maybe turning green. This test can be destructive to items that are not silver.
    When I first learned this from him I did a bunch of tests on know silver and silverplate, and I did find some silverplate flatware that gave a nice milky white result with the 18K test.

That all said, I would have no doubt that your set is silver, and over the years of testing, I can't really remember any jewelry that tested silver with 18K acid but not the 14K acid. There has been some flatware though that passed the 18K test but not he 14K test.

kyratango and judy like this.
  16. kyratango

Thanks!
    Your experience is greatly informative about testing :)

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Oh, don't.:facepalm: That is too traumatizing.:bigtears:

kyratango likes this.
  18. kyratango

:dead::depressed::stop:;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted