Featured Strange paiting

Discussion in 'Art' started by SSlava, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Dating your painting to the late 1800s or to the early 1900s will not change its value.

Debora

Christmasjoy, SSlava and KingofThings like this.
  2. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

this is a Russian painting in 1899.
    Well as I on the Internet have looked, women in pictures from the second half of the 19th century are regularly represented with open hair))

or I haven't correctly understood something?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

so how do you date it?
    maybe this picture was written for example in the first half of the 19th century?

Or for example at the beginning of the 19th century?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In public. Women in public did not wear their hair down. An artist's model might in the studio, a prostitute might in the bordello, but a "decent" woman would only wear her hair down in the boudoir. In the presence of a man, it was a sign of intimacy.

Debora

buyingtime777 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

So you think that it is stylization of 1920? The picture is painted not earlier than this time?
    Sorry, I haven't absolutely understood something))

But as I wrote, the canvas by sight looks quite old. I saw canvases at pictures of 1920-30, they have light color.

even canvases at pictures of the end of the 19th century.

But perhaps here depends also on storage? Though, I saw pictures in bad condition, but their canvas had light color))

Usually they so darken at a pro-procession of some period, usually more than hundred years.

but, perhaps I am mistaken))

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

And I wonder in what countries it was considered?

As far as I know, our girls went with closed hair in the villages (they wore kerchiefs). but still not always))

Young girls often went without kerchiefs.

As I found on the Internet, open hair was considered a sign that the woman was not married))
    Well, in any case it was in Russia in some villages in the 18-19 centuries. Perhaps, we had different traditions.

Well, it was believed that open hair is a sign of girlhood (virginity). And the kerchiefs were already with married women or women more adults.

Ghopper1924 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

That is a lovely painting, who painted that?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you are satisfied that you know someone who knows costume, and they say it is from this place or that place, then believe them.

9. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

So in fact of the matter, it's not clear which country this suit is.
    To me the Bulgarian wrote that with Macedonia, the picture has nothing in common.
    it does not seem even remotely to their costumes.

Debora writes that this is a stylization of the 1920s, if I understood it correctly?

Well, he writes that a woman has open hair, and could not have been in Western Europe in the 19th century?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

We don't use the term "open hair" in English. I believe you mean hair that is uncovered by a scarf or hat. Is that correct? When I write hair that is "down," I mean hair that is not secured to the head but is loose about the shoulders like a young girl's. In the West, adult women did not wear their hair that way in public until fairly recently.

Debora

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

In Russia, young girls could also have hair loose on their shoulders (but they were usually sewed in braids).

maybe this picture shows a young girl a virgin))?

Well, strange, the picture is really very strange. strange clothes and a lot of symbolism.

The picture seems to be older than the end of the 19th century (for example, a very dark canvas). but maybe I'm wrong.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As you can see from the picture, it is not Macedonia. No fur trim on the hat, Macedonian trousers are a natural light wool colour, and much wider, different blouse, jacket, etc, . No detail corresponds with Macedonian.
    It coul be an old Hungarian uniform.

14. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Yes thank you. I have already written several times here that this clothing is in no way connected with Macedonia or with that region)).

It was said by my Bulgarian friend when I showed him the picture))

15. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

do you think that this is an old Hungarian clothing? And what period, I wonder))?

16. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

By the way, here is the Hungarian painting of the 18th century, the woman has not got her hair closed?
    although they are not on her shoulders, but are collected in a hairdo.

17. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

As I read, loose hair on the shoulders was worn in some European countries from the 11th to the 17th century.

Article in Russian, it tells you what were the hairstyles of women at different times
    http://www.hnh.ru/culture/Hair_and_wigs_in_the_middle_ages

In the Victorian era, hair was usually collected in hairstyles.
    And loose hair was considered, as Debora wrote, a sign of debauchery))

It turns out the picture was written or earlier than the Victorian era, or later))?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  18. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

For example, there it is written that in Renaissance hair of golden color which have been dismissed on shoulders were very much appreciated.

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

19th-20th centuries. But this looks like a romantic rendition of a story from a certain period, painted after the period.
    Studying hairstyles of different periods or countries won't help at all, this is a romanticized painting, not a portrait of the couple.

judy, Ghopper1924 and SSlava like this.
  20. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

romantic picture? Well, judging by the look of the canvas, it looks more like the 19th century, perhaps the first half of the 19th century or the middle.

And can you more accurately date the picture? The original frame was not preserved, the picture was re-stretched in modern times.

How can it be dated?

Plus minus 100 years - it's still quite a weak dating))

Draft saved Draft deleted