Featured Strange paiting

Discussion in 'Art' started by SSlava, Sep 14, 2017.

1. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

maybe this picture was written in the first half of the 19th century))?

2. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

I dont know. can go to show the painting in the local museum of fine arts (picture gallery).

Interestingly, maybe in the appearance of the canvas somehow dated?

They still have a lot of pictures from 16 to the early 20th century, maybe they can compare at least the structure and appearance of the canvas?))

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's a good idea.

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

All replies are that persons opinion, and their attempts to try and help wherever they can, Thank You Debora for your very interesting input, Joy.

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

By the way, here is a picture of the 17th century from our city museum. What is interesting, the hair also falls on the shoulders))?

Well, the picture with expertise, like and the author is known, and accurately dated (Minyar Pierre (1612-1695))

6. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

By the way, really in the Renaissance women often painted with loose hair, which fall on the shoulders))

[​IMG]
    maybe the author of the picture took some elements from this time?
    As for the dress, too, I wonder if there were similar dresses in earlier times?

7. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

And what then can help for an exact dating of this picture?))
    The stretcher is not preserved. there is only a carved canvas, which was pulled on modern plywood.
    But in appearance and state of the picture it seems to me that the picture is older than the end of the 19th or the beginning of the 20th century.

But maybe I'm wrong.

8. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

The whole picture covered with the same old crackle))

Well, I do not even know what to think about the time of writing?

I'll try to go to the museum tomorrow. Maybe I'll persuade them to look at my picture))

9. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

girls had hair which are falling down on shoulders in many Russian pictures 18 of a century))
    For example, the Russian picture of the second half of the 18th century (1799):
    [​IMG]
    The girl's hair is loose and falls over her shoulders.

It remains only the dress and the general style of painting))

Perhaps you are right)). I do not even know what to think.

So what about the women's dress?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  10. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

And in general it is strange)).

I always thought that in Western Europe there were more liberal customs)).

It turns out that this is not so))?

For example, a Russian aristocrat of the 19th century (Varvara Dmitriyevna Rimskaya-Korsakova, 1864), she has a long braid that falls on her shoulders))
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  11. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

By the way, in Russia before Peter 1 there were no executions for homosexuals. Although in Europe they were executed in the Middle Ages.

And now, on the contrary, they allegedly say that they are oppressed in Russia))?

12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

What does this have to do with your painting? Joy.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Well, how is this? This suggests that in the 19th and in the 18th centuries girls went with hair that fell on their shoulders))
    And moreover, girls from the upper strata of society (not prostitutes)

14. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Perhaps in different European countries there were a little different traditions?

By the way, one friend wrote, he thinks that this picture was probably written in Austria-Hungary.

15. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I don't see how this could be Bulgarian or Macedonian painting. That region was probably still under Ottoman rule at the time the painting was done. I can't imagine the subject with the cherubs fitting in that time. They are Orthodox Christians and likely would have painted something more traditional with iconic like angels.
    By the way there was no Macedonian Republic anyway.
    Austria, Hungary, even Russia are good candidates.

judy and SSlava like this.
  16. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Well, yes, maybe)).

The Russian Empire at that time was a larger state)).

Russia even owned part of eastern Poland. Is it possible that the picture was taken from somewhere in the western regions of the Russian Empire, maybe from Moldova (areas that are close to Austria-Hungary)?

Many migrants from many provinces of the Russian Empire traveled to the south of Russia in the 19th century. Even rode from the territory of the present Poland.

maybe one of them brought this picture.

17. Any Jewelry

You're right, it could have come to Russia through migration. In the past people traveled just as widely as they do now, there were just fewer people who could do that, because travel was arduous.
    Paintings traveled just as much. All fine arts museums have international collections.

Moldovan men's costume has wide, white trousers, like the Rumanian costume.
    Traditional Polish men's hats are usually square on top, very nice.
    I think we're back to a possible Hungary, or a Hungarian minority in one of the surrounding countries. There are sizeable Hungarian minorities in Rumania and Ukraine (formerly Russian), for instance.

Christmasjoy, judy and SSlava like this.
  18. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Well, on the territory of Moldova lived a lot of Hungarian minorities (csángók) for example. Similarly, on the territory of Western Ukraine (but at that time Western Ukraine belonged to Austria-Hungary).

19. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The painting is pure fantasy.

I don`t think you can find out where it came from by the costumes of the subjects or if the women wore their hair up or down.

You have to find a place that has fat babies with wings, wings that are out of proportion with the size of the body and would never get them airborne in a million years.:rolleyes:

20. Any Jewelry

I think I've been there. :D

But your point is right, the discussion about costumes, women's hairdos, degrees of liberties in whatever part of the world in former times and if they can at all be measured by a painter's fantasy, Gay rights, etc, has nothing to do with the value of the painting.
    After 3 pages of interesting facts and fiction, and some very beautiful, quality paintings, what remains is an amateur painting, and the value is about what SSlava paid for it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Christmasjoy, Bakersgma, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted