Featured Strange resemblance ...

Discussion in 'Art' started by Golgatha, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

ku21 b.PNG The first painting is from my collection. Painting unsigned. Oil on paper glued to wood panel. 16 cm X 22 cm.

The second painting is by Simon Johannes van Douw. (ca. 1630 - ca. 1677). Oil on canvas. 45 cm X 55 cm.

I am, of course, NOT postulating that he painted mine too. But the resemblance is strange. Don't you think ?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They do have a similar color pallet, and are both in an academic style, but the photo is small and there's little to see.

Nice pictures.

silverbell and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The standing lady in the one on the left is wearing 19th century dress, not 17th century.
    The van Douw also looks more accomplished than the other one, the people and horses more lifelik and a more detailed sky, but as mos said, the photo is small.
    That said, your is a nice painting.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  4. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I'm not postulating that van Douw painted mine too. What caught my eye was the strange similarity, for which I have no explanation.

5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

The similarity is probably the subject. Ever day life,

Boland and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

To me, the similarity is in the color of the sky.

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I really can’t see from the photo but I would closely compare the horses. Horses are notoriously tricky to paint and if it were the same artist there would be similarities. Obviously wouldn’t be definitive though even if similarities are found but an interesting exercise.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted