Strange teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by thirlmere, Apr 28, 2020.

1. thirlmere

thirlmere New Member

Hi, has anyone seen a teapot like this one before? I would be interested to know who made it? Many thanks for your help. IMG_2221.JPG IMG_2222.JPG IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2225.JPG Kind regards, Kim

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    thirlmere likes this.
  3. flipper

Meanwhile, where did you acquire it? Did you actually piece it back together yourself? We have some excellent people that may be able to pin down the location and/or the age, but I am not sure about the artist if there are no markings...We'll see!

thirlmere likes this.
  4. thirlmere

thirlmere New Member

Hi, thank you for your responses. It was in my late aunt's house in London - not really sure where it came from before that - it was already pieced back together like that when I found it...

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's not a teapot. I've seen the shape before but can't remember. Maybe wine, or olive oil.

6. flipper

That is what I thought, initially. Remember that wine decanter thing that had the long thin spout? I said it was like an antique beer bong? But when I saw the shape of the teapot above in the link....I "assumed" I was wrong...(that is becoming an issue with me lately.)

thirlmere likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Try using botijo or cantir in your searching. Some are called double spout harvest jugs. This is one of different form I have that I tried searching for a long time.

2 edit.jpg

8. flipper

9. thirlmere

thirlmere New Member

Thank you very much - that is all very helpful information.

10. Pepperup

Pepperup Sarah

There's a similar vase a the beginning of video that might help you!

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

God almighty, she's so annoying and stupid!

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Do not listen to the Doctor! :eek:

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a Spanish búcaro to me. Also called botijo, which s_i_s suggested as search term. The unglazed ones were used for water, the glazed ones for either water or wine.

14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was thinking really awkward Chinese water dropper, depending on the size of course. It rather looks like it came apart, and not only at the seams. Spanish would make a lot more sense, given the clay and the glaze.

Add another vote for not listening to Dr Whatsherface. I think she works for the Ministry of Bad Information, vice the Ministry of Silly Walks.

thirlmere and blooey like this.
  16. Gday Allday

Gday Allday New Member

I think it might be a Spanish Botijo / Bucaro and since it’s glazed perhaps for wine or Olive oil?

Attached Files:

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well, ya.....as A J said...on Apr 28 2020..........from S I S 's suggestion...!

It's always good to read the whole thread...when it's older, so as not to repeat what's already been said.

just sayin........

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Gday Allday

Gday Allday New Member

I actually had a post right before the one posted above reflecting S I S and AJs comments. It’s my first post and format issues probably caused the post to be omitted by the moderator. I had read through the entire thread, & actually had uploaded my piece, in hopes of identifying it as well. Sorry for the confusion it brought.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

No worries.......things get better as you post more , and get the hang of the site !
    :happy::happy::happy:

Gday Allday likes this.
  20. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Your first post was awaiting moderation as the thread is old and you are new.
    You posted again before the first could be vetted.

No worries.

Gday Allday and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted