Featured Strangeee French Stick Pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Apr 27, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Can anyone help id this? French 18k “small object” mark on the pin part. The figural head I assume is silver. However the grungiest blacked gold I’ve ever seen came out of the same collection so I guess technically it could be white gold, or even platinum. I mean I have a piece of marked 14k yellow gold that if it wasn’t marked I never would have guessed it was gold or even gold colored from this estate. Unless it’s fake, lol. Haven’t tested yet. Anyways back to this one. It seems to have had a makers mark or some other mark but it’s so worn that I can’t see anything at all. It came in a large pin collection with some quality stuff. I’m thinking this one might be something pretty good. I see a person of African descent possibly. What do YOU see!? 37EA2016-3885-40DF-B759-76F2A9DEBD1D.jpeg B58B5AD5-0B1B-4E84-B5EC-9B4498AAAC95.jpeg E14C51F8-D22F-4EBC-9436-9350F24D6D90.jpeg

Dessert58, KSW, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  2. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

I see either an 80's style spiked hair do cool dude type. Or, a man carved into a tree, or onto a piece of drift wood. Possibly some combination of the both? A very cool piece regardless of origin!

Dessert58, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The glasses are interesting ! What a cool piece.

KSW, kyratango and J Dagger like this.
  4. J Dagger

The cool dude/dudette thing I saw as an option. The tree thing I hadn’t thought of but the neck/shoulder part does look branchy. Glad you dig it too!

KSW, kyratango and Satin In A Coffin like this.
  5. J Dagger

Isn’t it! I saw that Cartier did some funky mixed metal stuff at some point. Saw things that seemed vaguely reminiscent in terms of being funky of theirs. I wouldn’t think enough to get too excited over but that would be really cool.

KSW and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I bet the top is silver.Id throw a little polish on it just to see.

KSW, kyratango and J Dagger like this.
  7. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

I would hesitate to polish because it may be one of those things where the darkened appearance is purposeful to the design.

KSW, Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  8. J Dagger

That was my first inclination and still what I see. It’s interesting though that it isn’t marked. The French are pretty good about hallmarking everything. With the only mark on the piece being 18k it does make me wonder if it’s white gold. Either dirty or intentionally patinated. Sometimes if something is small enough you think maybe they skipped hallmarking it but the pin is much smaller than the head and they hallmarked that. Idk maybe I’ll rub one of the spike or dreads or hair things on a stone and drop some acid. I hate to do that on nice things but I can probably get away with it.

KSW and komokwa like this.
  9. J Dagger

You may have a point there.

KSW and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a stick pin.... shouldn't have to make you think this hard !

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love it, nice and quirky, and well made.
    Maybe our collector of stick pins and nature's oddities @kyratango can tell us more.:happy:
    Ditto.

12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Quirky and nice!
    I see a monkey wearing glasses with a bad hair day:joyful:
    I really think the head is silver, it will benefit from a sunshine cloth rub! Please, no acid ON it...:nailbiting:
    Touch stone and 18k acid on the trace, will show a light blue flaking, saying silver.
    Not all little silver parts were hallmarked on stickpins. But you may see something once cleaned.

13. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

I m in with Kyra: I see the monkey head with gold glasses
    Cannot be unsees now...

J Dagger, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted