Featured Street Life In London 1877 by Thompson

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, May 26, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

An amazing book (that I don't own),'Street Life In London' 1877 by John Thompson.I'd love to own just one of these plates,let alone the entire book.
    Street_Life_in_London 1.jpg St Life 6.jpeg St Life 5.jpeg St Life 3.jpeg St Life 2.jpeg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

4. bosko69

Fardon's 1856 Views of San Francisco photographic folio would work for me too.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Marote like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The guy selling throat lozenges (pic#3)would have had a bit of a limp.

Screenshot 2024-05-27 012341.png

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Interesting!
    I always wonder how true to life photos like these really were. I'm no photo expert, but back in 1877 didn't a photo require some serious equipment and several minutes exposure? The subjects had to be deliberately posed.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how that would make them less true. Less spontaneous, of course.

Debora

bluumz and kyratango like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hoping that 'foot' rise or support ISN'T as HEAVY as it looks!!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop:

sabre123, Marote and daveydempsey like this.
  9. bosko69

1850's Caddish English 'Fop'-damned bounder ! I believe this callow fellow is 'high hatting' those two innocents.
    1850's UK Pic.jpg

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Photography using a wet collodion emulsion on glass as the negative (1851 - c.1881) required only a few seconds exposure, depending on lighting conditions. In 1878, Edward (Eadweard) Muybridge developed techniques fast enough to photograph a galloping horse, using a series of triggered cameras with fast shutter speeds.

upload_2024-5-26_23-54-12.png

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not when the photo was taken, that shoe solved the problem.;) It probably also solved the problem of developing arthritis in his hip joint.

I speak from experience, although the length difference of my legs is not nearly as bad as his was, but my hip was beginning to play up. I wear a high insole in my shoes, and have adjusted sandals. It is hardly noticeable, I have become a good 'home cobbler' over the years.:D

kentworld, Aquitaine, komokwa and 6 others like this.
  12. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

I too wear a lift in my left foot shoe as I was hopping trains at age 12 and while atop a parked freight, was blown off by coming in contact with the tension wires above that held 50,000 volts. In my right hand and out my left foot. 5 surgeries later the growth slowed hence the lift. It was a shocking experience to say the least. :)

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Due to the rich brown tones, I think the images were made with either the carbon print or the Woodburytype process. The Woodburytype (invented in 1864) seems more likely because it was a photomechanical process, not purely photographic. To reproduce a true photograph onto a book page back then would have led to a great loss of definition and tone. Woodburytypes also had to be "tipped in" to books, not printed onto a page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_print

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodburytype

http://www.graphicsatlas.org/identification/?process_id=38

http://www.graphicsatlas.org/identification/?process_id=316

Any Jewelry, 2manybooks and Marote like this.
  14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

@bosko69 - please tell us where you found this particular example of the book (auction listing, ebay, other?). Other versions I have found online do not reproduce the photos so clearly.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I simply meant that posed photos can often be stylized/idealized.

Houseful likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're right, of course. And typical of the era.

Debora

17. bosko69

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted