Featured Striking Portrait of Lady / Hobday Studio, Norfolk VA

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by AntiqueBytes, Aug 23, 2022.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I really like this one. She looks so dignified.

Haven't found too much on this studio.

hoblady.jpg hobladycloser.jpg

2. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

She is very pretty. I didn't find much on photographer either. Just a bit. Library on congress. I didn't want to download the files but it will give you a little bit of information.

About this Item
    Title
    • [Private John Cocke Ashton of Norfolk "Light Blues" Virginia Light Artillery Battery in uniform] / J. Hobday, photographer, no. 42, High Street, Portsmouth, Va.
    Summary
    • Photograph shows portrait of identified soldier, who was captured at Petersburg, Virginia, and imprisoned at Point Lookout, Maryland.
    Contributor Names
    • Hobday, J. (Joseph), approximately 1833-1893, photographer
    Created / Published
    • [Portsmouth, Va.] : [J. Hobday, photographer, no. 42, High Street], [between 1864 and 1865]
    upload_2022-8-23_19-30-58.png

Figtree3 and AntiqueBytes like this.
  3. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

Thank you. That means that photo was from 1864 to 1865? I wonder how long he was in business? Would probably take a lot of research if he's not that well known.

ulilwitch likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like an Irish servant girl to me. Suspect she's wearing her Sunday best but... Her clothing and accessories are very humble.

Debora

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The location on your card is Norfolk, not Portsmouth VA. Maybe one of our excellent researchers can find info on when he was located in Norfolk.

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm finding him a tad earlier in Norfolk -- 1859-1860.

Debora

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good! Thanks for looking, Debora.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here he is in Portsmouth in 1854.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 5.08.45 PM.png

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The most interesting thing about her is her bluntly cut hair. It may indicate treatment for a brain health issue or institutionalization, perhaps for being a sex worker.

Debora

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Given the dates Debora found,this could be an early carte de visite. They were first invented in France in 1854, but didn't come across the Atlantic right away. They started to become more widely used in the very late 1850s and early 1860s. So that is the earliest date for this. Perhaps somebody could figure out a date for her clothing? It is faded, but my wild guess is 1860s some time.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm finding the clothing hard to decipher. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say -- what with the gathered bodice, high waist and round shoulder -- sometime in the 1850s. (If 1860s, she'd be wearing a hoop but she doesn't appear to be nor does the skirt appear to have much volume.) But then, she's not affluent so perhaps she wasn't able to follow the latest fashions. I wonder if not an older dress made over to be serviceable at a later date. The best indicator of dating is probably her bonnet which she may have hand- decorated to the latest fashion. She wears it defiantly; must have been important to her.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted