Featured Studio glass aventurine paperweight or is this from China??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, May 2, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

There has been such a deficit for any art glass (one Covid year without thrifts hasn't helped) so I grabbed it at the GW for $4.99. Was hoping to maybe find a signature under the tag when I got home, no such luck. But under the tag, noticed the white circle on the base.

Using as a learning piece, now wondering it there are red flags pointing that this was made in China. What does the base tell me?

@johnnycb09 I think you are good at this, among others, of course.

ag1.jpg

ag2.jpg
    Polished:

ag4.jpg
    Has this white center point:

ag3.jpg

ag6.jpg
    Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Thats a lovely hunk of glass ! Knee jerk was Italian of course,but then I recalled that China has upped their game now and polish the pontil more often. I will say the only time Ive seen anything like that white circle showing,its been on Chinese. Ownedbybear is far more knowledgeable about glass than I,lets hope she chimes in. For $5 Id have bought it too !

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd think it's good modern Chinese too. I agree on the white circle being a bit of an indicator.

i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Thank you both -- helpful! :)

i need help and Ownedbybear like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I didn't know about the white circle. On the other hand if it's pretty and you like it, which language it speaks isn't relevant if the price was right.

i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Yes, it's nice enough and I have seen some glass come out of China that has decent quality.

Although it makes no sense at all, I would like it better if it was Italian or a studio piece. How the collector's mind works sometimes... go figure, lol. :confused:

It's good info about the white circle. I thought I had seen that posted somewhere, that this was an indicator of a Chinese made piece.

The colors are right up my alley, so probably will hang on to it for a bit.

Thanks!

i need help likes this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hi Lucille! It makes total sense to me, especially having been privy to so much MCM Italian glass throughout my avid collecting years. I wish it was Italian (for you) too! ;)

Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  8. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents....maybe Chinese..maybe studio....It is a pretty piece-nice shape and colors--- and I surely would have picked it up. ;)

johnnycb09, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Wracking my brain to my Geometry Days to come up with the word Rhomboid, but no entries on that. :hilarious:

johnnycb09 and Lucille.b like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

In paperweight terms, whilst there's a great deal of volume produced in Italy, I do think the finest examples came from elsewhere. Old Bohemian ones, Baccarat, Clichy and St Louis for example. And Walsh Walsh.

antidiem, johnnycb09 and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted