Studio? honeycomb pottery piece, help please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tyeldom3, Nov 19, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I assume this is studio pottery, but what is it?, and what type of glaze is this?
    Stands about 4" high. The base is marked 2-6-77, and it looks like a or u and maybe a 1? I don't know, but if it's studio, I guess it doesn't really matter much.
    Thanks for your time :cat:
    DSCN3942.JPG DSCN3935.JPG DSCN3934.JPG

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I would call it a miniature vase, and the glaze, maybe "drip glaze"?

This might be a homemade piece rather than a studio piece. It reminds me of vintage ceramic glazed Christmas tree shaped platters that sort of look like they should have been store bought, but you turn them over and there is a signature a bit like this one. I think they were kits or something.

I realize this is a completely different item, but I was thinking along these lines:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Chr...877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c49675855

I think typically studio pieces do not have written the exact day they were made, sometimes a year and maybe possible to have the exact date, but not common.

I always like turquoise blue glazes w/browns. Sweet little vase.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. tyeldom3

Thanks so much lucilleb! Much appreciated. :happy:

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Hobbyist piece, might even be a mold number hidden under all that excess glaze. Used to be tons of little ceramic shops around, you'd go in and pick your greenware, buy your glaze, scratch some identifying marks on the bottom, pay your kiln fee, and come back in a few days to pick up your piece...

~Cheryl

5. tyeldom3

Thanks so much Cheryl ! I appreciate the help. :cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted