Stunning and quite old desk scale model of mortar cannon

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Hunter S., Sep 27, 2022.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Ok, so this one is done so well...I truly have no words for it...I am so sad it is damaged :(:(:( (it is on the first front right "leg"...small frontal metal piece is missing and the wood started splitting a bit there...it is not a huge damage...but still...:grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:)

First of all...all I know it is some kind of antique mortar cannon...(I have no knowledge about antique cannons what so ever...so I do not know when this type of cannon was built or for what purposes...as I have seen those thin cannons...I thought those were the normal cannons :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:...I am unsure for what / or where mortar cannons were used for...I have ships in my head? maybe?)

It seems to be bronze all the way (all the metalwork on it)...

Craftmanship on the wood and the metalwork is just fascinating...I am unsure what type of wood is this (maybe mahogany wood) but it is very sturdy and nice looking...also the mortar cannon itself is done perfectly...take a look for yourself :smug::smug::smug:

Absolutely no makers marks on it...at least I have not found it (maybe that one bolt [I took a pic of it] that holds the mortar has some meaning...or maybe I am just seeing things :hilarious:)

I have no clue about the period this was made or where (or by whom)...and I would really really really like to know :bookworm::shame::bookworm:

I have seen some similar types of scale models...but still they vary from 1800s up to 1980s and I haven't seen any mortars done like mine...so I am completely lost where (France, England, Germany...) this was made or when...

Scale with the zippo lighter in the last pic...but also:

Dimensions: 16.5 cm (6.5 in) x 8.5 cm (3.3 in) x 12 cm (4.7 in)

Heavy built...around 800gr (28.2 oz - 1.7 lbs)

I hope you enjoy it :happy::happy::happy:

Mortar Cannon Desk Model 1.jpg Mortar Cannon Desk Model 2.jpg Mortar Cannon Desk Model 4.jpg Mortar Cannon Desk Model 12.jpg Mortar Cannon Desk Model 7.jpg Mortar Cannon Desk Model 6.jpg Mortar Cannon Desk Model 8.jpg Mortar Cannon Desk Model 9.jpg Mortar Cannon Desk Model 11.jpg Mortar Cannon Desk Model 13.jpg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Hunter S., NewEngland and sabre123 like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a golf ball mortar ...;)

Hunter S. likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hunter S. likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had this one made of cast iron and was sure there was a thread about it on these boards, but I can't find it now.
    Cast Iron Seige Mortar Cannon Toothpick Match Holder Paperweight-a.jpg

CastIronSeigeMortarCannonToothpichMatchHolderPaperweight-b.jpg

Hunter S. likes this.