Featured Subject of this Relief Molded Classical Mythology Pendant?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

This is a Nettie Rosenstein necklace with an ivory-color relief image of 2 women in draped garments playing harps within thick vines/foliage with a monster/satyr face at the base. I tried some Roman/Greek mythology searches for women with harps but found nothing that included a scary male figure.

I tried Bacchus searches to include harps with nothing truly relevant found. Is this a made-up classical-type depiction? Any input appreciated!
    Nettie_Rosenstein_Faux_ivory_Mythological_pendant_Y.JPG Nettie_Rosenstein_Faux_ivory_Mythological_pendant_X.JPG

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Interesting, but not really consistent with any particular figures or story from classical mythology. They are playing lyres, sort of a suggestion of grain around them, & a mask, more like the Green Man, although perhaps it could be seen as Pan.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Orpheus?

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Curioser

Thanks @Bronwen and @2manybooks! The Orpheus angle is interesting but in this pendant the ladies play the lyre. I'd like the Green Man more than the scary dude I see in this necklace, darn! And Pan without horns or a flute seems a miss.

It may be just some decorative fantasy on the part of the designer.

Bev aka thelmasstuff and Bronwen like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Sorry, I could not see they were ladies!

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Curioser

No problem!

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted